Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subi Noob - Looking at a 1991 Legacy Wagon

Hi,

New to the forum. I am looking at the Legacy Wagon:

"1991 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon, good body, , good interior, drive train good. Engine stopped running, had it looked at, probably timing belt. Has a full tank of gas and 4good snow tires.

Take for $500 OBO"

You now know as much as I do about it. I called and left a message and he did not return call yet.

So before I talk to him I'd thought I'd post on here and see what information a Subi expert would ask before going to look at this/pick it up.

Any insight is much appreciated. I have spent a couple hours learning about these cars and they seem much loved. I will be doing all this work myself. First time I touched a Subaru was yesterday helping my friend do tie rods on his Outback XT.

gat a water pump and a timing belt and be good to go. I will bet the timing belt failed from a seized idler or perhaps a failing water pump. Most likely replacing the belt will be good to go. Worst to worst, yu may need to do a head gasket, based on how it runs. But not bad for a 500 dollar car that is worth 3 times as much as a runner.

The legacy would have been the better choice for reliability and power, but the loyale is not bad at all as a simple lightweight car. You just have to put up with it's little quirks as it is what makes a subaru a subaru to begin with.

The biggest PITA with the loyale is the timing belts and cam tower leaks, lifter noise, what have you, but the car is simple to work on and any procedure involved is well documented here.

forget the google search and search here as any google search will bring you here anyway.

look up youtube for 'art of subaru maintenance' for the basic mechanicals and services for this car.