Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 stage rally days

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,994 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

A friend of mine named Jerry Winker has been doing motorsports photography in the midwest for about 30 years, and he's been slowly uploading much of his old pictures onto his website ( http://www.comicozzie.com ). For the most part, he only got to one stage rally event a year, Ojibwe Forests Rally in northern MN, so it's not a huge portion of the photography, but the REALLY cool part, is the detailed information about driver, codriver, vehicle year/make/model, sometimes even how they finished or why they DNFd (if applicable).

I'd HIGHLY recommend to anyone interested in classic motorsports to take a look through his albums, and maybe consider buying some of his work, as he is trying to make this a living (which means thanks to Rally America, he's likely getting out of Rally for 2013 and any foreseeable future).

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this, is I started noticing a name, Chad DiMarco, in the late '80s that seemed to have a different EA82 rally car every year, and it seemed to be a new RX model (switched sedan to coupe in the '87 season). Here's one sweet picture of him in '87 in a sedan:
http://www.comicozzi...F87-14.jpg.html

So I started searching for his name, and found this article on the history of the Subaru Rally Team USA on the Subaru Drive Performance website. Pretty cool read!!
http://driveperformance.subaru.com/Print.aspx?printpath=/Articles-(1)/dp71/dp71_origins&classname=custom.SDArticle

Love this:
http://driveperforma...ns_inline3.aspx
"In 1986, DiMarco fielded two cars in the WRC round in Olympia, Washington. New Zealander Possum Bourne also entered a Subaru and, significantly, this was the first time Subaru had entered multiple cars in a WRC event besides the Safari Rally in Africa.
Photo: courtesy of Chad DiMarco/Subaru"

And this: "For the 1987 season, DiMarco used one of the RX Turbo 3-door coupes that had been prepared for the Safari Rally."

Also.....he won the first of his 4 Group A National Rally Championships in 1990....which was the year he switched to the Legacy chassis.....:drunk:

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

soobs in the Tacoma Dome....booyah

thanks for posting, Chux! wheres the rest of that article? im hangin here

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,723 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thank you for Sharing this very interesting Information & Photos.

Kind Regards.

#4 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

He has a very cool collection of pictures. Being a huge stage rally fan, I love this! A friend of mine is gonna be driving his car in NEFR this summer and I'm head mechanic for the team. Rally owns :cool:

#5 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great post, 'Chux.

Jacob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users