Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How in the world do you get a rear axle off the diff??

Trying to pull a rear axle among other things today. The outer end of the axle is loose and hanging, and the inner end is still attached to the diff. The pin is out, and I've pounded and pried on it for hours, and it hasn't moved a MILLIMETER. Can someone tell me, HOW DO I GET THIS THING OFF!!??

Rust welded on. IF you do get it off, use some anti-seize on the splines when you put it back.

Heat with an acetelene torch, and then dunk it cold water - that might break it loose.

Dissasemble the joint, and knock the plug out of the bottom of the cup, then you can get to the stub bolt on the diff, and remove the whole stub.... You need the special stub bolt tool tho....

Last resort - cut it off with a die grinder.

GD

1/4 inch drive 6 point deep well 8mm Craftsman sockets work for gettting the bolts out, provided they are not stripped off (DO NOT try a 12 point socket, must be a 6 point and you gotta lightly smack it with a mallet to get it on all the way) but it will work, I have done it.

The special tool is an inverted torx, but you need one that will fit inside teh hole in the shaft, which most that I have seen do not.. Dunno where the tool could be aquired aside from a Subaru dealer. Maybe some deep creep, or other penetrating oil would help???

use the torch to get it real hot then pound on it as soon as you get the torch off. The heat will cause the outer part to expand more than the inner breaking the rust bond. I had to do this on my outers, and my surrounding seals survived the heat. You just gotta be careful about where you put the heat. I pointed the heat directly where the stub goes in.

had a friend with this problem.

we tried

torch and then beas wax. = nothing

soaking in penitrating oil over night = nothing

took it to a machine shop and had them use a big press on it. = broken $200 pickle fork on press and not a bit of movement.

hope it works out for you