Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What can I use to get wheel stud out?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I gotta get my tires mounted and I want to replace my wheel stud that broke on the LF wheel, Is getting the ABS tone wheel off going to be hard? I think it's held in by hex bolts?

I've heard of squeezing the bolt out but that tool is like $30 alone for it :-/

#2 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

if you take off the ebrakes and unbolt the tone ring there is just enuff room to drift out the old stud and can just get the new one in i use a nut with a stack of washers to pull the new stud in

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

if you take off the ebrakes and unbolt the tone ring there is just enuff room to drift out the old stud and can just get the new one in i use a nut with a stack of washers to pull the new stud in

It's the left front wheel so no ebrake I hope ;) I hear some say use a hammer and I hear some say no because of the wheel bearings..

Just how much force does it take to get the stud to start backing out?

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,531 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Put an old lug nut on the end of the stud to hit with a hammer, or use a brass drift to knock it out. Tone ring is easy to remove as long as rust hasn't destroyed the heads of the small bolts that hold it on.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Geeez I hope the bolts for the tone rings are ok..

#6 Mike104

Mike104

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • N KY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I had to change a few and I tried hitting it with a dead weight hammer and got nowhere. One hit with the 2lb sledge and out it came! Put the new one in and added some washers and it pulled right in. I also had a tire place change on during a tire installation for $25 as it was convenient for me at the time. Part is a couple of dollars so easy to do.

#7 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I have a 3lb I keep handy, I will try this Friday.. Ok dumb question but does the dealer sell lug nuts by the single? Or anyplace? Whole reason this happen was I was going around a curve near my house and I saw the lug nut roll off into the grass so as soon as I got home I saw the whole wheel was loose.

#8 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

dealer sells sets of lugs for around $20. mcgard's are cheaper.
tone ring has four bolts, 5mm allen bolt head.
if you are close to a junkyard go and get a set of tone ring bolts and wheel lugs.

#9 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,531 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Lug nuts are a few $ each at most auto parts stores. I you only need one or two they usually have enough in stock.

#10 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

My dealer sells them singly. Can't remember how much I paid tho.

I got 2/3 of the acorn type. Ask.

O.

Edited by ocei77, 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#11 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I might have to check tomorrow, I don't want to steal one of my summer lug nut bolts, I might hit the tone wheel screws Friday with some kroil, Kroil and a torch works wonders in getting really stuck things to move, I think my FSM is in storage, anyone know off hand what the torque rating is on the bolts for the tone wheel?

#12 doc526

doc526

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Dallas, GA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I have put the tone rings on and made them reasonalby tight with an allen wrench. You know, not Bruce Banner tight but nice and tight.

On a second note, something I have not seen mentioned is that you might want to remove the ABS sensor from the knucke if possible. This way when you hit the stud with the hammer you don't impart severe shock to the sensor.

Has any one done this without removing the sensor and not have any problems? Just curious. :cool:

Good Luck!

Dean

Edited by doc526, 16 January 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#13 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,677 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

anyone know off hand what the torque rating is on the bolts for the tone wheel?

suspension stuff doesn't matter in the northeast - "about so" is good and rust will fixate it for good shortly afterwards. :banghead:

#14 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

suspension stuff doesn't matter in the northeast - "about so" is good and rust will fixate it for good shortly afterwards. :banghead:

Haha so true.. I'm trying to figure out later on how I'm going to get the rear diff out, I want to change it to a LSD.

$2.49 for one not bad..

Edited by 1-3-2-4, 17 January 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#15 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

All done! Pretty easy, however one of the tone ring bolts had a stripped head because I by mistake started leaning in on it and it got sideways.. Anyways I had to drill it out to fit in the new studs, kroil and the bolts came out really easy..

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,531 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Why did you drill it? The stud is supposed to have a tight interference fit in the hub so it will not spin.

#17 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,693 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I drilled the screw that holds the ABS tone ring.

#18 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,531 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Oy! Makes sense now. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users