Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle problems-86 Subaru Brat

When I got my brat it had a torn boot in the inner joint on the passenger side. I have since replaced that axle and now the other axle shaft has done the same thing, the clip slid off even. What would cause this? Is it just bad reman axles or is it something worse? This vehicle did get rear ended but I don't know if that would be related.

If you had a drive angle extreme enough to tear a boot as a result of the colision or other issues you would know it because the BRAT would be at a crazy angle and all over the road. I would expect that it is nothing but a bad clip, poorly tightened and maybe grease on the cup from sloppy assembly helping it slip off. The problem with aftermarket bands is they suck compared to the rachet type OEM uses. Get a band tool and the best clamps you can and re-do it.

Use a hose clamp - the 3" ones you find in the dryer vent section at home depot work great. You can also probably source some thin ones for a pre 69' VW swing axle CV boot - they used hose clamps originally. I used the $0.79 hose clamp from home depot on my rear axle on the lifted wagon, and after off-roading HARD all day, it shows no signs of loosening, or slipping. I wanted to find some VW ones since they are like 1/4" wide like the regular bands, but I couldn't located them on short notice, and after looking at the aftermaket VW boot kits and seeing that they use regular 1/2" wide hose clamps, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. With the welded rear diff, I've already blown up two rear axle outer cup's, so the hose clamp is really nice. Makes them easily serviceable on the trail.

GD

Hi Shawn This is Jerry, those axles were from Les Schawb and my thoughts are that they are not that good. I have to replace one of them each year. The brat also has adjustable front strut rods so the front end shop can adjust them. Also the 5 speed tranny has the syncro shift synthetic gear lube part #792 in it. I am sure that it is not your brat but the so called Les Schawb axles that are to blame. Thanks Jerry