Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts intergchange - 70's Wagon/Brat Doors

About to buy a 1979 Wagon (2WD) as I need the doors and a few other parts. I am more than positive that the hood and fenders are able to be swapped. I can't seem to find any info on the doors.

Victim - 1979 DL Wagon

Recipient - 1980 GL Brat

If this can be confirmed I would appreciate it.

Based on what I have learned it should be the same aside from the extra doors and wagon rear.

Hi OCD

The Feb '80 Subaru Parts Catalog shows the following:

RH DOOR: 6612 94530 fits HT, Coupe, 2D & MV (BRAT); 6612 94670 fits 4D & SW

LH DOOR: 6612 94540 fits HT, Coupe, 2D & MV; 6612 94680 fits 4D & SW

...so I think you'll find the 4D / Wagon doors are different ("shorter" length, so as to fit an extra pair of doors within the wheelbase)

The windshield from a Gen 1 wagon or 2/4 door sedan are the same as a Gen 1 BRAT. The GF front glass is the only different one.

The front bumper on the BRAT is not shock mounted, but it is the same bumper itself. just a bit longer.

The doors from a 2 door sedan, coupe or GF will fit the BRAT too. They are actually better, as the GF and sedan, coupe doors have internal side impact bracing. The BRAT does not have this. All you need to do is swap out the glass.

Internal door latching parts and mechanicals all the same, except for the bars that connect the interior door handle to the latch assembly.