Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another Forester head gasket failure: Seeking quick advice

I've skimmed through about 100 posts about Forester head gasket failures and I get the feeling this is a stale, boring topic. :horse: My 2006 Forester (only 67,500 miles) is dripping a few drops per day from the passenger-side HG and the driver side shows a stain forming. I'm out in Colorado where labor rates are pretty reasonable. Questions:

• If I have the head gaskets replaced with "good" quality parts, how many miles can I expect to go before I have leaky gaskets again? Best guess?
  • The leak is minor for now. Does it make any sense to wait for the leak to get worse before servicing?

Thanks -- really enjoy this forum.

Mark

I would hit up the dealer and see if they will do them. I complained on behalf of one of my friends in the Milwaukee are at the same year and mileage on her Forester and bithced a bit to the local subaur manuf rep adn they gave her a great deal. I think she paid $400 of the $2700 bill.

Thanks for your replies, folks.

987- Helpful and interesting tip about using the STI HG. One of the independent Subie shops here in Denver had never thought of that option.

3Pin- The local dealer where I bought my car new simply blew me off when I asked about some leniency on the repair bill. In fact, the service guy at the dealer said that I can expect a repaired HG to last only about 60K miles. :mad: Guess they don't want any return business.

1. if it's coolant leaking, the first step is to add a bottle of Subaru coolant conditioner. Sometimes you can even add two. Often alleviates the external leaks very quickly. The stuff is sold by Subaru and required for all 2000+ EJ25's (and some 1999's).

2. there is nothing imminent about it. just keep the coolant (or oil, that year can leak both) topped off. it's not urgent, i've seen them go 100,000 miles with externally leaking headgaskets. though your year does tend to get worse quicker...but still, you've got lots of time.

3. use the turbo headgaskets as it looks like was already mentioned. do not reinstall the same 67,000 mile subpar stuff that was in there. crack smokers.

done two thiss week 01 legacy and a 99 outback make shure you have the heads planed the 01 came out to 1646.60 including the timing belt waterpump coged idler valve cover gaskets intakes headsurfacing ect. i glue every gasket with avinoic form a gasket and they dont fail agian have some with over 250000kms since headjob and still 0 leaks

It possible that your dealer is trying to brush you off because Subaru of America (SOA) might ask him to contribute financially if your car is fixed under "customer accommodation". Let's say the retail price to fix your head gaskets under "customer accommodation" is $1800. SOA says that you, the owner, will pay $600, and they, SOA, will pick up $600, and the dealer will kick in the remaining $600. Well, maybe the dealer doesn't feel like kicking in anything to make you happy. Obviously, this is just speculation on my part.

Anyway why not contact SOA directly? Ask to meet with a district SOA representative. You car is just past the warranty mileage, and head gasket leaks are known to be a problem with 2.5 L engine. You have nothing to lose.

Doing an Outback Sedan today, same engine as yours. This one has 167 and OIL everywhere. Probably has had them done in the past but hard to speculate as its not an original owner car. Give me a call if you want a quote I am in North Denver near I 76/I 25 and US36 interchange and am happy to use the STI gaskets for the job. Estimate of $1400 with the timing belt components.

On other thing, the OP reported a head gasket OIL LEAK. Subaru "coolant conditioner" is VERY unlikely to help with an oil leak. If the head gasket was seeping coolant, then the conditioner might help.

No mention of oil in the first post. But you are correct, coolant conditioner doesn't do jack for an oil leak. Nothing really helps oil leaks except thicker oil, and that has ill-consequences of its own.

what you cant see is the problem coolant leaks past the head bolt and into the oil and out the bottom of head if you can see coolant leaking on the outside its geting in the oil. I had one thiss week that was pushing coolant out the exhaust first one iv'e seen do thiss. The oil had coolant contamination i think most just evaporates off unnoticed