Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy GT sedan

135,000 miles

5 Speed

Here is the dilemma...

If you have the car running, put it into reverse, have the brake pedal depressed, it will stay running when you turn the key off and take it out of the ignition.

When you take the key out, the ABS and AIRBAG lights come on. Headlights, dash lights, heater, etc. all stay on until you either let off the brake or take it out of reverse.

If the key is out and the engine off, everything comes on as if you turned the key on when you press on the brake and it is in reverse.

Upon getting this car in, it seemed fairly daunting... now, that I am finally getting to it, I have a good idea what is going on. I have not repaired it yet, but feel that the first (most obvious) repair I can do will, perhaps only be 90% of the fix...

Any guesses???

LJ

That sounds like a fun sorta short. Good luck hunting it down. Obv. has to do with your reverse light (and the switch on the shifter) and your brake lights (and the switch on the brake pedal). Start huntin' :Flame:

Pray tell; does this car happen to have an aftermarket anti-theft / alarm system installed?

found it...

Trunk lid wiring harness had two wires pulled out of it. It seemed to be a combination of bad design- the harness is too tight, as the lid closes, the wire is bent to tightly and breaks. (those with early imprezas know that one.) And a reckless set of golf clubs that finished off the second wire. Sometimes its the stupid simple stuff that causes absolute nightmares! Fortunately, this did not become that.

LJ