Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Oil Pump?

In January, I lost oil pressure in my 93 Loyale. I drove it to the gas station and to the shop and back. I figure I went about 10-12 miles with no pressure, bu the engine didn't seize, and it still had some power, although not all. I am wondering if I should try to get a new oil pump or if I should try to get a new engine for the car. Or the worst option, sell it. Can anybody help me? Thanks

crawford

The first thing I would to is put a pressure gage on the pump and see if you get pressure. Since you didn't describe any noise from the engine I would want to make sure that it's not a simple electrical fix before getting too deep into it

If it wasn't making noise, then it could just be the oil pump seals. They get brittle and sometimes even crack. You could try just a re-seal of the pump. The seal kit is cheap - like $8 or something. The whole pump isn't all that expensive either. You could even get one from a JY, and try that. Taking it apart to do the re-seal will tell you what sort of shape it's in, and then you will have the seals for a JY one if you need to go that route.

GD