Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a few questions on parts swaping

So I'm in the process of tearing my 89 gl wagon apart and am gona rob a few parts for my 91 loyale but I have a few questions

first off the Cruz control is it worth trying to swap I dont see any vacuum solenoids or control modules on the throtle cable so how dose it work on this car and is it controled by the computer or something else I want to swap the hole stering column aswell is there a wiring diagram of the cruz control somewhere

second how different are the excessory mounts on the motor like alternator powersteering pump ac will my 91 brackets work on the 89 motor I'm sure they will but if they don't it would save me some time tryin to swap it all out

I'm sure ill have more questions along the swap but some like duel range swap are already on here already and ill do my best to search them out

Edited by ferp420
had to add what car i was swaping in to

Cruise vaccum control is hooked to the gas pedal, at the pedal.

Save the buttons, the pump (unless it's the engine vac supplied) and the cruise computer (mounted up in the dash, above glove box)

Honestly though, you are better off with the EJ cruise units. leave the wiring in the harness when you do your EJ swap. You will still want the buttons from the EA.

Right on thanks I realy want the cruz control I'm gona swap the whole steering column that. Has all the controls on the steering wheel im not ej swaping probly won't ever happen with this car but my motor is slowly loosing water I'm asuming its a cracked head or something runs great but the gl motor holds water no signs of stopleak and I have all service record for it and heck I'm swwping in a duel range anyway so I'm gona use the good motor the biggest bummer is I have to drive the impreza till the swap is done oh well it.will give a chance to work on it to since its in my face

Edited by ferp420

For slowly loosing coolant condition:

1. Tighten all hose clamps of hoses with coolant in them.

2. Tighten cylinder head bolts.

If still loosing coolant, look for leak below engine. Does the car smell like it is leaking? Last place to look because it takes the most time, is the cylinder heads. There, you can have a crack in the fin in the exhaust port of the cylinder head, or between the intake and exhaust valves.

Yup my guess is for a crack somewhere and since my doner car has a motor in way better shape and I'm already swaping the duel range in and loosing my push button I figured just swap the motor aswell and ill figure out why I'm leaking later when I tear it down to rebuild it question on this is are the accseory brackets interchangeable from 89 to 91 I know they look different but I'm hoping the bolt holes are in the same place I would rather run the 91s accessories and brackets not that it matters but anyway thanks a lot

yes, it will all bolt up the same. either manifold will fit the same, but it is recommended you use the one original to the recipient car. If you are good, you can unbolt the ac and alt as a single unit and flip it to the side without disconnecting the hoses. There are stealthy bolts there so i recommend watching "the art of subaru maintenance" videos to see how it is done.

• 2 weeks later...

motor and trans swap went good car is up and running interior looks original same color even same dirt i found most of the cruz control parts taking a brake for the king of the hammers race ill be back on my swaping after that is if the car makes it and i dont get distracted by rock buggies and such