Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Please 93 legacy sw 4wd, automatic

I have the automatic transmission with the auto lock in 4 wheel drive and it keeps locking in and out even when I use the manual lock in 4 wheel drive switch. what I need to know is where is the solenoid or sensor that makers the 4 wheel drive lock in by its self. so I can unhook it or put a new one in. the transmission dose not slip but when the auto lock in turns on it make it shift down and makes the car run at higher rpms. here are the numbers listed on the tags on my car if it helps (tz102za2aa- transmission) (ejzzeaa3bm-muitl point fuel injection 2.2liters) (bj7dy3r uohw model) I can not find any solenoids on the transmission. I can take photos and post them if you need them. any help please and thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the USMB.

Not sure if you are still having a problem or not. The manual button on the gear selector does NOT force the system to full AWD. That manual button is a very primitive form of traction control and when the gear selector is in the 3 or 2 position it will keep the transmission from going into 1st gear to reduce wheel slip on initial take off.

Can you provide any additional details to the exact problem when not using the manual button?