Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Outback Clutches

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rmarshall234

rmarshall234

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • san diego, ca

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

New guy here.....

Does anyone have a suggestion for a more robust clutch assembly for the Outback? This is our 3rd Outback and 5th clutch replacement in the past 15 years. It's always the Throw Out Bearing that goes first, and so the entire clutch assbly gets replaced and always with genuine subaru parts. It seems to me that the T.O. bearing just can't take the heat, which leads to early failure. The rubber boot for the release fork tends to get cooked and fails prematurely as well.

My wife and I are lifetime clutch/stick shift drivers and I'm a mechanic, so poor driving habits (such as riding the clutch) are possible but unlikely.

I replaced one of the clutches in the past and all the components showed signs of heat stress. My theory, is that everything is just a tad underbuilt, and can't handle that high heat environment. Ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,669 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

On models with cable clutch without the hill holder there is supposed to be a return spring on the release fork to pull the TOB away from the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is released. Models with the hill holder do not have a spring as the hill holder does the same job when it is properly adjusted. Incorrect release cable adjustment will cause the TOB to drag.

Hydraulic clutch models should be similar. Lack of a return spring or incorrect hill holder adjustment can cause the TOB to drag.

Another thing that causes problems is resting your foot on the clutch pedal or keeping it depressed while sitting at stop lights.

#3 rmarshall234

rmarshall234

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • san diego, ca

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thanks. All have been hydraulic clutches w/o the Hill Holder feature. I don't specifically recall if it has a return spring on the fork or not, but will be checking that when this clutch comes out next week. Maybe it needs a stronger spring.? If the TOB is allowed to spin at all times, that would certainly explain the early failures. Resting a foot on the pedal has been ruled out.

#4 rmarshall234

rmarshall234

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • san diego, ca

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Just to follow up....the clutch got replaced by a local garage (ClutchWorks in Vista, CA and the service and price were great!) and as in past the T.O. bearing was toast. The rest of the components showed normal wear and tear. Friction material that had been thrown off from the disc seemed to collect at all the lubrication points and everything looked very "dry". The only provision to return the T.O. Fork (and therefore bearing) to nuetral is the Pressure Plate and the slave clylinder. Installed an aftermarket assembly (LUK) this time, so we'll see how it lasts.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Then you are missing the return spring.

I'm not a fan of LUK clutches personally. Exedy (OEM) only in my shop.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 28 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users