Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale head gaskets

So i have know my head gaskets were on the fritz and on the way out, i have been trying to get the money and parts together for it and i noticed the other day when i was checking the oil and adding some, that my coolant and oil are mixing. Just exactly how bad is that? i know its not good. and what kinda of head gaskets are the best for the replacement.

As you guessed and now doesn't matter - oil/coolant mixing is not good for bearings.

Use the Fel Pro Permatorque headgaskets for EA82's. They don't require a retorque procedure like the Subaru gaskets, saves a lot of time and it's proven as it's been used by folks for years.

Intake manifold gaskets should be from Subaru, the thin cardboard aftermarket ones are flimsy and are prone to leak. or you could try to cover the cheap-o ones with sealant of some sort if you wanted to use them.

thepartsbin.com is the only aftermarket company i have seen that has the small metal reinforced orings between the cams. Subaru obviously has them as well for like 2.50 each.

A full on rebuild (meaning main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings) is generally not cost effective and a rather intensive job to do correctly.