Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pulling EJ22, Can't remove Flex Plate bolts...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 suprunner

suprunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I've done everything necessary to pull the EJ, except that I can't undo the torque converter (TC)/ Flex Plate bolts. I've tried multiple tools and entry options... Even tried going under the intake manifold (removed oil pump). Will I have to take the Intake Manifold Completely off?? Every time that I get a socket/wrench on, then put any torque on it, it just pops off or rounds a point on the head. . Can I remove the engine with the TC/Flex Plate still attached? I don't have any use for the TC, so I'm not worried about destroying it... The motor will be going into a M/T Loyale.

Thanks,

Greg

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

6 point 12 mm socket on the 1/4" ratchet. Put a 14mm wrench on the ratchet handle to give you some leverage.

Yes you can pull the TC with the engine. it's tight but it will come out.

Larry

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

remove the intake manifold and use 1/4 socket and extension laid across the top of the block.

3/8s stuff may work, but with the intake out of the way it is a no brainer.

i resisted this technique for too long, but it is the easiest way.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I use a 12mm socket on the end of a serpentine belt tool. Just enough room and plenty of torque from the 18" handle.
A 1/4" drive ratchet works as well. Most you can fit the handle of a small floor jack over the handle of the ratchet for extra torque.

#5 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

a deep offset wrench will also work, without removing manifold

O.

#6 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

when i pulled mine i had a hard time too. i was planning on using it for a swap as well so i removed the motor with the tc/flexplate on. then i cut up the flexplate and took that byatch off:grin:

#7 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

oh ya, we had also removed the core support for another project so that was kinda easier than going straight up/out i think

#8 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

I posted this in your other thread (Which I moved to the Retrofit forum).

Theres only 4 bolts and you can access them from the hole on top of the bell housing. Its to the left as you look at the engine and may have a black rubber cover on it. I use a 12mm socket (make sure its a good 6pt one) and a 3/8 ratchet. It can be a pain to break them loose sometimes. What I have done is smack the handle of the ratchet with my hand or use a soft blow hammer.

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

6 point socket and a proper wrench/extension/pipe that gives you enough leverage to put some force on it...all the while, keeping the socket fully seated on the bolt head. i've never had that method fail. friend was helping me once and rounded a bolt head off when using a 12 point socket...that's a no-no on those bolts.

i've pulled motors with the torque converter attached, it can be done.

though if you don't need the flexplate i wonder if there's enough room to get in there and cut it off around the bolts.

#10 Wayback

Wayback

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Here's how I did it: https://picasaweb.go...943991757571186

#11 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've always loosened the I/M and jimmied enough room to get my 3/8" extensions through. Goes under the fuel hard lines and over the coolant x-over pipe.

#12 suprunner

suprunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for all that have replied.

I ended up removing the Intake Manifold (IM) (which I will probably do in the future), getting two of the bolts off the plate, and then completely rounding off the remaining two.

Bought a Dremel, and cut those babies off.

The two bottom nuts for the bell housing were my next nightmare. I couldn't get a good angle on them for the life of me. But I kept my cool and got them off.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Greg

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users