Ultimate Subaru Message Board

21540R17 on 08 Impreza Outback Sport ok for minor off roading?

I got an 08 Impreza outback sport for cheap (about $3000) because it had a disagreement with a pothole. I've gotten the major repairs done but one of the rims is toast. So... I've called the junk yard and even if they could find me one it'd be $250. On craigslist i found this:

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/pts/3536699203.html

I dont like the rims but I'm not picky either. My hold up is the fact that the sidewall is 40... 80% of the time my girlfriend will be driving the car in town, but living in oregon and california camping and some gravel roads are driven on for sure. Would i regret going with this setup?

My other option is a set of subaru rims for $175 (also on craigslist and they're spray painted black?!?) and then having to buy new tires that run $150 each give or take.

Any opinions?

Used is the way to go. $150. for a set of alloys isn't terrible, but you can probably get a set of steels for around $50. off craigslist or a junkyard.

5x100 bolt pattern isn't that rare. Shared on Chryslers (Cirrus, sebring,Neon etc.) and cavaliers and such. You can usually find a matched set in a junkyard on the cheap.

Tires - used can be the way to go. You can buy new for around $100-$150 per tire or if you shop around on craigslist and such you can generally find almost new for $100-$300 for a whole set.

For light off roading, just know your clearances and don't do anything silly. A lift is often a good idea for any real off roading, but a stock Impreza will do fine of dirt roads and such.

You might try http://www.autoadventure.net/ located in Portland. They have lots of wheel rims available for the Impreza. Doesn't need to be for the '08; most years of Impreza rims will fit your car. You don't need to go with 17" rims, WRX rims (16x6-1/2) are readily available on nasioc all the time, often complete with tires. Besides those chrome rims are UGLY!