Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy 5sp wont go into gear (cable clutch)

93 legacy 5sp with a cable clutch, 235k miles.

the story

shifted fine yesterday. This morning let the car warm up for a min (low of 5f last night), Put it into reverse made a funny grind clunk noise, backed up, put it into first and made a u turn onto the street, went to shift into 2nd, and it wouldnt go. Stopped, with the engine running and it wont shift into any gear. engine off, it shifts fine into gear. put it into first with the engine off and started it up, drove back home in first gear.

my observations

clutch pedal, cable and fork linkage appear to be in working order.

clutch pedal returns when foot is removed.

grommet around clutch cable is cracked.

it appears to me that the clutch wont disengage.

my guess

the clutch fork is broke, bent. If this is true will the clutch pedal return?

less likely something fell into the clutch through the open grommet causing the clutch to stay engaged

throw out bearing? im not an expert but not sure how it would cause this issue.

new(er) parts

clutch has around 70k on it, worked fine no slipping

clutch cable was replaced with dealer part 6 months ago (anyone seen the clutch cable Car Quest sells, not good)

Edited by subestyle18

local subaru guru thinks that the clutch came apart...

i have pulled the engine when i last replaced the clutch. not too hard, is pulling the tranny easier. what is the preferred method for a clutch job.

what brand clutch do you suggest. the last one i installed was the cheapest option at the time.

sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Possibly the cable has stretched, or perhaps the fork is stretched.

Try adjusting the cable first, or replacing the cable. Then go form there. I doubt the clutch is done if the car moves.

You can always ************ the car off to get it into gear, and then drive normally. When the car is moving, it is possible to upshift and downshift without using the clutch if your timing and rpm's are right.

Good chance the release lever cracked. Possible the pressure plate is damaged or the clutch disc fell apart but they usually make some racket.

Easier to hold heavy clutch components while reaching over the fender or laying under the car, or easier to put engine on a work bench or crate to work on the clutch? The release fork is only clipped on and is fairly easy to remove.

Get new clips for the throw out bearing while you have it apart.