Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT spring and summer projects.

Hi there folks! Hope everyone is having fun in their pickups this winter. Especially if you got any snow :)

I'm looking into getting back on two wheels since its warming up and that means the brat won't be my daily anymore. Which is sad because I always enjoy driving and the looks I get in it. But is awesome because I get to start some projects on it!

First and foremost will be getting the jump seats I bought put back into it. And seeing as the things are scary as hell for a full sized person and the wind on the back of your head sticking over the roof has to be uncomfortable, I'm looking into getting a roll bar and a windscreen bought or made for it.

Something like this would be AMAZING (anyone know the proper name for it so I can do some searching?)

http://cimbeon.com/photos/subaru-brat/05/

But I doubt I'll find one in nc to pick up... So I think I will just be making my own by making a roll bar with two vertical U's, (the one closer to the cab being shorter), and some kind of plastic or painted metal with a bit of weather striping wrapped around.

And hopefully I can find a high top camper shell soon and make the whole thing fit under that! As long as the seats sit alright for a 6 foot tall person with those tops on, any one been under one?

Second in line is making a new sound system for the ole rust bucket.

I'm planning on waterproofing some cheap used speakers and if they still sound alright, I'm making new plates for the inside of the bed walls, and mounting speakers inside them! :D has anyone tried this before? I'm going to put sound damping matetials behind them and build boxes on the back sides of the panels and tuck a small sub between the rear seats facing the cab. I also plan to hide the amp up under the truck bed so all the wires can be hidden quite nicely! And I'm putting two speakers on that system inside the cab, between the seats in a box with the cd/stereo. And maybe even put the cup holder my truck lacks in the top of that box.

I'm also thinking of cutting out the top of my camper shell and making my own high topper.... But with a clear plexiglass roof! My friend joked about how uncomfortable the seats were under it, and said I should find some of those plastic clear domes from McDonald jungle gyms and bolt them on top.

Now that sounds tacky so I'm thinking full sunroof, with a canvas roll up sheet inside. The canvas would be to pull across and hook to something like blinds in your house. Just for some shade on those particularly hot days.

Finally, I've stumbled upon a full, rebuilt 13B S5 RX7 rotary motor along with drivetrain, suspension, wheels w/ tires... Pretty much everything I would need to get a motor swap done.

I really don't think I will end up doing it, but its a sweet idea for a drift missile! I'm still hunting for an elusive single port ej22 that doesn't have a blown head or cost 700+$ :|

I know this is a lot of work, but I need a spring and summer hobby any ways. And if I don't get much done, there's always next year!

And if it cost me a few paychecks, at least I will have a sweet toy by the end :)

Anyways, let me know what you think of the project ideas. Any suggestion is welcome. Even if I can't use it hopefully someone reading can!

Sincerily yours, Ratchums

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but I'm making a wind dam for people in the back seat out of fiberglassed plywood and a Yakima 1A roof rack. It's getting close to being done (look at the last picture) and it works really, really well.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136709-brat-diy-back-seat-wind-dam/

Also,  I made brackets when I put the rear seats back in (they were removed years earlier for cargo space) that bolt in for easy removal. This is an old pic. They are now painted and look great:

IMG_2061.jpg

Edited by bendecker