Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed issues after new syncros

hey guys, just got a 5 speed put back together after having the gear shop in town replace the syncros and the bearings in a 5 speed. I split the case myself and dropped the gear sets off to them. I've done about a dozen of them and have had 100% success with everything working after.

Now comes the odd part, on the bench I'm almost positive I felt it shift/click into 4th gear. Got the tranny back into the car and went to check to see if it had all gears with teh linkage and shifted hooked up. All gears but 4th (4th was the problematic gear that the customer wanted fixed) There is no position on the shifter for 4th, almost like the guy forgot to put the shift collar for 3/4 shift but everything appeared ok when I got the gear sets back from the shop

Is there anything I could have mixed up that would keep 4th from showing or even clicking into gear?

Edited by torxxx

tore the tranny back down, the company that did the work refuse to admit they did the work even though I have a receipt for it. When the guy put the brass wear ring back in in, he either didnt replace it or bent it. The shift collar will not engage to 4th gear what so ever.

So now I gotta find someone with a press and a bearing buddy so I can pull the thrust washer off and see what exactly the guy broke. Sad thing is the guy who did the work has supposedly been doing gear work for 35+ years

Needless to say, I guess I'm going to be teaching myself how to rebuild gear shafts.

Got everything rebuilt/replaced on the main gear shaft. was surprised at how easy they are to rebuild. Got me my own bearing separator coming in the mail and will be ordering my 4.44 R&P this weekend.

Now I can get motivated to build my 5MT for my own outback and get that R&P installed. oh and weld up that center diff..

hehehe how bad is my car gonna drive if I weld up the front diff? really thinking about building 2 trannys (one with stock open diff and then my play tranny with a welded front and center diff)