Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whining noise in 2nd gear and wide throttle

OK I have a '99 OB with the 2.5L and 4EAT and have a strange noise that I thought I would ask the board members for an opinion on.

Like the title says its only when I accelerate at wide throttle and only in one specific gear (I'm not sure if it's second or third?). It sounds like a bearing noise or a whistling noise.

Is it likely a transmission noise or could it also be a front diff bearing? Trying to guage whether the likely fix will be a 4EAT swap?

Thanks for reading.

Blu used to do this, i think maybe you may want to look someplace else.

With Him the Tabs for the air box were broken. At wide open throttle this would cause an air leak, hence a whistle.

So check to make sure your airbox (air filter) is seated if you have touched it lately.

Nipper,

Thanks for the advice, I did have it opened a while ago so I will check that first. Its also due for an ATF change as well so I'll do that too and see how it goes. I guess when it is in that gear and WOT it can make a noise and when it shifts, the RPM drops so that may be the reason it only does it at that time.

Thanks for all of the help!

I reseated the airbox cover and noise is much reduced. Thanks Nipper. I think I need to get a Subaru OEM filter (it is a solid metal frame) to reduce the likely hood of the floppy one moving around in the air box. It's due for replacement so I think I'll just put an OEM one in this time.