Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2002 Subaru Outback - Driver's side heated seat doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

The passenger's side heats up fine and the light on the switch turns on.

But, the driver's side doesn't heat up and the light on the switch doesn't turn on.

Last week my check engine light came on and I ended up taking the neutral off my battery to get the light to go away to see if it comes back.

After I did that the driver's side seat heater seemed to work and the light on the switched turned on for a little while, but then it stopped working again.

What could this be?

:horse:

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

i wouldn't think the battery/connecting to be related, just coincidence, but you can try it again and see what happens.

both positions of the switch don't work?

the heated seats, while a nice novelty item and i have them in my daily drivers, are lame and prone to wearing out/quit working. i'd be more surprised if you posted a thread like this "My heated seats warm up quick, work 100%, and have been for 7 years!"

#3 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

i wouldn't think the battery/connecting to be related, just coincidence, but you can try it again and see what happens.

both positions of the switch don't work?

the heated seats, while a nice novelty item and i have them in my daily drivers, are lame and prone to wearing out/quit working. i'd be more surprised if you posted a thread like this "My heated seats warm up quick, work 100%, and have been for 7 years!"

Yeah, it probably was coincidence. And yes, both positions of the switch for the driver's side do not work.

But the fact that for a few minutes the heated seat did work and the light on the switch did turn on (both directions), tells me that it is still capable of working but something is hindering it. I just don't know what the something is. It's not the fuse since the passenger side works.

:headbang:

#4 forester2002s

forester2002s

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

The CEL is emissions-related. I cannot imagine that it has anything to do with the seat-heaters.

Your problem sounds like a loose connection or ground-fault.
To start with, check the electrical resistance of the seat-heaters, and compare between the two seats (there are connectors under each seat).

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,611 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I suspect a bad seat heater switch. Suggest you swap wiring from driver seat to passenger side switch. If the driver seat warms up when you turn on passenger switch, then it is a bad switch for sure.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

good call rooster - switch is most likely - it moves, wears, and gets stuff/debris spilled on it constantly.

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,281 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Suggest you swap wiring from driver seat to passenger side switch. If the driver seat warms up when you turn on passenger switch, then it is a bad switch for sure.

i'm not sure they will swap, they may, but the connectors are different colors and i think the switches are as well.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Lights burn out, it happens, I dont think it is related.

This is a common failure, as the driver gets in and out a gazillion times and eventually the wires break.

#9 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

i'm not sure they will swap, they may, but the connectors are different colors and i think the switches are as well.

Pass and driver's side switches are different. The pinouts are the same, but the plugs are different and won't interchange.

What nipper said. It happens to all of them eventually. In more or less any make of car. All heated seats work and fail the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users