Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Subaru Outback - Driver's side heated seat doesn't work

The passenger's side heats up fine and the light on the switch turns on.

But, the driver's side doesn't heat up and the light on the switch doesn't turn on.

Last week my check engine light came on and I ended up taking the neutral off my battery to get the light to go away to see if it comes back.

After I did that the driver's side seat heater seemed to work and the light on the switched turned on for a little while, but then it stopped working again.

What could this be?

:horse:

i wouldn't think the battery/connecting to be related, just coincidence, but you can try it again and see what happens.

both positions of the switch don't work?

the heated seats, while a nice novelty item and i have them in my daily drivers, are lame and prone to wearing out/quit working. i'd be more surprised if you posted a thread like this "My heated seats warm up quick, work 100%, and have been for 7 years!"

i wouldn't think the battery/connecting to be related, just coincidence, but you can try it again and see what happens.

both positions of the switch don't work?

the heated seats, while a nice novelty item and i have them in my daily drivers, are lame and prone to wearing out/quit working. i'd be more surprised if you posted a thread like this "My heated seats warm up quick, work 100%, and have been for 7 years!"

Yeah, it probably was coincidence. And yes, both positions of the switch for the driver's side do not work.

But the fact that for a few minutes the heated seat did work and the light on the switch did turn on (both directions), tells me that it is still capable of working but something is hindering it. I just don't know what the something is. It's not the fuse since the passenger side works.

:headbang:

The CEL is emissions-related. I cannot imagine that it has anything to do with the seat-heaters.

Your problem sounds like a loose connection or ground-fault.

To start with, check the electrical resistance of the seat-heaters, and compare between the two seats (there are connectors under each seat).

i'm not sure they will swap, they may, but the connectors are different colors and i think the switches are as well.

Pass and driver's side switches are different. The pinouts are the same, but the plugs are different and won't interchange.

What nipper said. It happens to all of them eventually. In more or less any make of car. All heated seats work and fail the same way.