Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turbo Transmission Q

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Responsible Jon

Responsible Jon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Indiana

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I got an 88 GL10 Turbo wagon with 5mt and locking center differential. Using the information on gears found here, calculated my stock gearing and the gearing for this 5 speed.

.871*3.7= 3.2227 -Turbo gearing
.855*3.9=3.4515 -stock 82 gearing

So putting this transmission into my 82 Brat would decrease my RPMs to go the same speed in top gear, correct?

I know it the turbo has 25 spline stubs, can the shafts be swapped out to the 23 spline stubs from my 4 speed?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

I know it the turbo has 25 spline stubs, can the shafts be swapped out to the 23 spline stubs from my 4 speed?

No. You can't swap stubs on MT's without splitting them open and I am not entirely sure that 4 speed stubs would work. 5MT stubs (right up through EJ stuff) would definitely work. You can build custom axles but unless you want to spend a lot of time at the junk yard trying to piece things together you will need to buy 4 axles from one of the "new" axle manufacturers like EMPI and swap the inner joints around. Factory axles use too many joint/shaft sizes and most cars of that vintage have such a mish-mash of axles in them that there's no telling what will fit - thus the easiest way is to buy 4 new axles - 2 EA81 and 2 Impreza and swap the inner joints.

GD

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

your #'s are off just a tad.

Here you go

5spd turbo FT4wd= .871 x 3.7 = 3.2227

82 4spd D/R 4wd= .885 x 3.9 = 3.4515

And for comparison

5spd N/A 5mt S/R or D/R 4wd= .781 x 3.9 = 3.0459

So actually you would get better top end gearing out of a Stock EA82 5spd, single or dual range. And they have 23spline stubs so no probs with axles in your brat. You won't have the FT4wd:-\

FWIW, you can put 23 spline stubs into a Turbo 5spd, but you will have to split the case.

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ive swapped the stubs and would do it again in a heartbeat if it was an EA81 car. Not needing a custom axle is enough for me and I share space with my friend and axle rebuilder Marshall Wolf who is known around here as MWE (Now FW Enterprises). Being able to replace one when I am away from home is the big thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users