Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 90 legacy and I am not sure what kind of ATF it needs. I pulled the dipstick and it smells like 90w gear oil to me. Is there a seperate transfer case that I am checking by mistake? I am not too familiar with these cars but I do know what gear oil smells like and I have never heard of a A/T using it. So can someone help this fool and tell me what I need. My car is not shifting well and making some awful noises in first and reverse, but it works fine after we get up to second and so on. Knowing my luck the tranny is probably giving up and I am waisting my time with this, but I would hate to rebuild because it is low on oil LOL. Thanks

yes there is a separate dipstick for the front differential. The differential dipstick is on the pass side. The atf dipstick is on the driver's side.

I suggest looking in your owner's manual for the correct info. If you don't have one.....you can d/l mine that I've scanned. A full pdf copy is at the bottom, or you can look at individual images.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/owner

I have a 90 Legacy -- owners manual says Dexron II Which acording to NAPA has been superceded to Dexron III.

bad noises dont speak well for the health of your trans. Mine is very quiet and works fine except for a small fluid leak. I just watch the atf level and add when it gets a little low.

Milt

Well I filled up the trans and it was about 2 quarts low. The slipping is gone, but the noise is still there. It sounds like a bad pump to me. Shopped around and sounds like I will need about 3K to replace it. The car is not worth that much so now I am stuck. Anyone close to oregon have a good used one for sale cheap??? If not I may be parting out a very nice car if you guys are interested. I would like to fix it but that is way too much money to invest into a car that is 14 years old. I do have a 86 XT with a 2wd auto sitting in my yard and I wonder if there is any chance it may fit in the legacy?????? Well I hope someone may be able to help me out and I will check back often. Thanks

The 3000 is for a reman unit from Shucks/Kragen. I have had estimates of 2400 for a bench rebuild and also the same from another place that said they could do the parts and labor for that amount. How difficult is it to remove the tranny from this car? I assume that I would have to pull the engine to remove the trans???? After looking at the way the trans and front dif are located in the car I have no idea how they make the front wheels drive!! I assume that the torque converter is in the bell housing then the it goes through the front dif and then into the trans. How the heck does this setup get power to the front?? Also what makes these trannies so expensive to rebuild, I had the TH350 in my truck rebuilt for under $300 and I am sure that the sub is more complicated than it but why so much money? I called some junk yards and I can get a used one for 650 that has a ton of miles or another with 91K for $850. I hate to put a used auto in it when it takes all the work to R&R and it could go out it a few miles. I know some one has a good parts car that they want to sell me........PLEASE LOL. Thanks for the responses guys.