Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Overheating - HG done 20k ago

Our Outback (2.5) had the classic HG problem and was fixed by our Subaru dealer approx. 20k miles ago. We have had no problems since and the dealership has an excellent reputation for quality repairs. The car was parked for a week in sub-zero or near sub-zero temps for a week. Started right up today and let it run for about 40 minutes including a brief drive to lunch. It operated fine with no temp problems. While driving home from work, it began to run hot. So hot that even in below-freezing temperatures, the fan came on. There are no drips beneath the car to indicate a leak of any kind, and the heat inside the car was working fine. The overflow appeared low, but then again it has never had much in it since we bought the car ten years ago. Where to begin?

Thanks!

Subaru usually offers a 1 year warranty on their repairs - so I'd be getting it back to them pronto.

classic EJ25D headgasket signs are bubbles in the overflow tank and no heat in the cabin (it'll be hot for a minute) when it's overheating, and one of the radiator hoses will be relatively cool to the touch.

*but* they are capable of different symptoms after being repaired so harder to say definitively.

if the coolant is low in the radiator, air bubbles can prevent circulation and cause overheating.

why did you let it idle for 40 minutes?

radiator could be clogged.

thermostat could be stuck.

Did it over heat or run hot/

Over heat, could be a kink in the HG job

Run hot in extreem cold-

Raditor cap

Antifreeze mix (doubt it)

Low coolant

clogged radiator

stuck thermostat

It ran hot. Thanks for the tips - will use your checklist tomorrow a.m.

Subaru usually offers a 1 year warranty on their repairs - so I'd be getting it back to them pronto.

classic EJ25D headgasket signs are bubbles in the overflow tank and no heat in the cabin (it'll be hot for a minute) when it's overheating, and one of the radiator hoses will be relatively cool to the touch.

*but* they are capable of different symptoms after being repaired so harder to say definitively.

if the coolant is low in the radiator, air bubbles can prevent circulation and cause overheating.

why did you let it idle for 40 minutes?

radiator could be clogged.

thermostat could be stuck.

It is beyond a year since the repair, so if it is the HG again, I will probably be out of luck.

The car was covered in snow and ice and the air temp was about 10 - 15 degrees F. I wanted to not only start it, but let it run a bit after sitting in the cold all week. It probably idled for closer to 30 mins - drove to lunch and back.

Run hot in extreem cold-

Raditor cap

Antifreeze mix (doubt it)

Low coolant

clogged radiator

stuck thermostat

fans not coming on, would be most prevalent during idling and cool down when you start moving.

you'll want to start keeping your eye open and see if it's random or predictable (highway, city, iling, stopped, moving, temp dependenet, etc).

Update:

Radiator was about 1 qt. low, and added coolant mix. Two 20 mile trips this weekend @ 50+ MPH, no problems. No visible signs of leakage.

This morning, 40 mile trip, ran fine, started getting warm after about 15 miles on thruway in wet snow, freezing rain, fans came on and cooled right down. Going to get new radiator cap anyway. After lunch steam coming from grill, but believe just water burning off from road-spray/wet conditions.

I guess we're heading to the dealer for a diagnosis. On the way home from work today, the temp gauge was in the red and I had to pull over to let it cool down. The overflow tank was overflowing. Not the thermostat because there was plenty of heat in the car. Hopefully, after paying $150 for them to diagnose, it won't be HG.

• 2 weeks later...