Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel system electrics?

I'm not getting power to my fuel pump:-\ (EA81 Hatch)

How can I test the rev sensor/fuel pump regulator. This is the black box under the dash that I thought was the relay that the dealer calls a rev sensor ($150).

If I jump 12v to the fuel pump to see if it's working is it going to hurt anything?

Blue===Power?

Black==Ground?

I'm not getting gas to the front filter/carb.:confused:

Thanks,

Glenn

82 Summer, not getting fuel.

01 Forester, uses way too much fuel.

I swapped the entire wiring harness into the buggy. Though it would make things simpler that way.

I used my volt meter and ran a test current into the fuel pump power line starting in the glove box area, then I checked for power back at the fuel pump connector. I found power in the wire (blue) and I also found partial power in the ground wire? A grounding problem makes some sence. Is it possible to get feed back into the ground through the FPCU? or is it more likely there is some other prob that is giving me some power from the power wire to the ground wire?:confused: Would this fry the FPCU?, Fuel Pump?.

I tryed jumping 12v to the pump and the pump did nothing:banghead:

Wondering if I'm dealing with two problems caused by a ground?

?????????

Glenn,

Daysed and confused!

I read the links you sent.....

Do I need the FPCU? or can I just run a wire to the pump. It sounds like folks are running power from a "key on" lead and going with that?

Tell me more about the pink connectors..... I know what ones your talking about.

Glenn,

hmmm. I thought it was in those posts... I may have found it in a different area. someone else on the board pointed it out...

on the pink connector, one of the wires is 12V IGN switched and another of the wires is like a second feed into the FP circuit. I used a relay switched by the IGN 12V to run the FP off a 12V lead from the battery. however, this bypasses the safety feature.

I'm doing this to put the safety feature back in....

FPRELAY.JPG

Thanks for the diagram, I may end up making one of these.

If I'm understanding the FPCC correctly, there should be power to the fuel pump when I initially turn on the ignition switch. Then if the motor runs the coil/ignition will continue to feed power to the FPCC and then to the pump.

So when I turn the key, and get no short duration power to the pump, then the FPCC is not working properly?

I gonna get ugly with it tonight.

Glenn,

I went to the Junk yard and picked up a FPCU. The numbers were different on the 83 Subie that I got it off of but the carb was the same and the wiring configuration was the same as I have.

I didn't work:banghead:

The FPCU I have has....... 429547014 on it. (1982)

The FPCU I purchased had 429547022 on it. (1983)

Anyone familiar with compatiblity issues with the Fuel Pump Control Unit?

Could I have gotten lucky enough to picked a bad one from the JY?

I want to make one more attempt tomorrow to find one that works.

If this don't work I may have to make something.....

Any help appreciated

Glenn

82 Summer, fuel issues.....

01 Forester, fuel economy issues......

For those who care.........

The part number 429547014 (FPCU) is ONLY for an 1982 Subaru with the Carter-Webber single barrel carb.

No cross reference or superceding part numbers are available for this unit.:banghead:

The good news is it's still available on order for $150!:D

I'm depressed now.............

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer, with the Carter-Webber carb!

01 Forester, without a carb!

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried several "black boxes" none with the correct #s I have a 429547002 on it at the moment.

This box gives power to the fuel pump but will not give power to the electric choke? The car now runs but gets too rich after a minute or so and kills. I can stick a screwdriver in the carb and open the valve and it will start and run fine.

Any Ideas on how to manually control the electric choke, if I can't find a 429547014 FPCU?

Anyone had experience with the electric chokes?

Thanks,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, choking....

01 Forester, laughing.....