Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 BRAT Automatic?

yes brats came in auto non turbo's, they had to be ordered from the factory like that though. the dl's didn't come with the t-tops because they where the low line of subaru's, they only came with single range 4 wheel drive, and they had a solid rear window/single mirror (unless ordered or installed from the dealer to have a sliding rear window and a mirror on passengers side). gl's had the t-tops, sliding rear wind, and dual range 4 wheel drive.

if you'll go to http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/literature/brochures/brochures-80-89.html and look at the picture for the 85 GL Brat, you'll notice under the pic is says halo twin roof only available on dual range models, it's the only place that says specifically, it's also in a year where the DL model didn't exist. so that leaves auto brats without t-tops.

I also owned a '83 GL Brat without T-tops with an automotic and all options. Including rear slider, A/C, dual head lights, cloth seats, full carpet, etc. Definitely not a DL at all. Horrible rust or it would still be on the road!

I have pics in a box somewhere.

I finally made it down yesterday to look at the automatic brat. Needed rotors, brakes all the way around, valves were clicking, real rough idle, knock in the front end when turning, had to floor it at take off to get it to go, needed alignment, basically a lot of money needed to get it right. The guy wouldn't take less than $3k. I guess he thought I was a stupid woman and he could con me. Either that or he is so impressed with himself that he owns a brat, he doesn't realize it sucks. Oh we'll it really turned me off from wanting an automatic. It had a weber carb and dual exhaust but ran like crap. Are the turbo auto brats any better?

my brat is a badged gl but has 2 headlights cycops light rubber floors originally 4spd d/r sliding glass rear widow bull bar roll bar and full gauges but no t tops according to the ranch in colarodo it came from they had special ordered 9 brats for use as hunting rentals on the ranch in 82 I got mine in 2004 from ebay at which time were 5 more just like for sale

so back in the day with eniff money you could probably buy one any way you wanted

my brat is a badged gl but has 2 headlights cycops light rubber floors originally 4spd d/r sliding glass rear widow bull bar roll bar and full gauges but no t tops according to the ranch in colarodo it came from they had special ordered 9 brats for use as hunting rentals on the ranch in 82 I got mine in 2004 from ebay at which time were 5 more just like for sale

so back in the day with eniff money you could probably buy one any way you wanted

exactly what i was saying how they could be special ordered.

the person in charge at state farm said they had a 83 brat that they special order.