Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brothers wagon

AKghandi

My brother has been bugging me to build him a Subaru, so here it is.

85' GL wagon D/R. 205K manual steering. manual everything

3m23ie3h55l65ke5j1d1p66j.jpg

3ed3g23me5n15f15had1pbe.jpg

Those are the only pics I have of it right now, but I will be getting more soon

so far I'm about half way through the tune up, but I've run into a few snags.

Who ever did the spark plugs last was a M************ r****d and managed to cross thread 2 of the holes, leave one only halfway screwed in and the other appears to be factory original NGK, and its not coming out.:mad::banghead::banghead: fun right?

On top of that the cap and rotor must have at least 100k on them, the contact button is non existent. How it even ran is beyond me.

and the fuel filter weighs about 8oz/

Oh and the brakes are gone. like none. but I have all the parts I should need to fix that.

Now onto the good parts, its very rust free,just a little on the rear quarters, the interior is perfect, and it still has the original adjustable struts front and rear.

Plans for it are as follows: 4" lift and 27" swampers, and probably tube bumpers. past that I'm not sure.

Thats it for now.

I may have to, it all just depends on whether I can get the spark plugs sorted or not. I'm not against the idea but I'd rather wait till I have to, before I do a motor swap.

It actually runs pretty good so hopefully I can get all this crap sorted... I may have to helicoil the plug holes.

Well I got the spark plugs all sorted and the brakes are fixed too.

I chased all the spark plug holes and all is well. It runs amazingly well.

I replaced the master cylinder with one I had laying around.

Best subaru brakes I have ever felt, no squish, tomorrow I'm going to put new pads and shoes on it and it should be ready for another 100k!

Also plans changed, its going to get a 2" lift instead of 4". just because I'm lazy and the 2" is sooo much easier. still going to get the 27" swampers though.

Edited by AKghandi

What 2" lift are you going with? I also have an '85 Wagon... will the 27" rub with a 2" ?

Somebody said the other day you could make a 2" lift for $20. Anyone have any news on this? I searched... but no luck.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111887

Found in the USRM under "offroad modification"

Tire questions refer to "offroad FAQ"

What 2" lift are you going with? I also have an '85 Wagon... will the 27" rub with a 2" ?

Somebody said the other day you could make a 2" lift for $20. Anyone have any news on this? I searched... but no luck.

I'm ordering one from thebeastidrive very well made and really you cant make one for much cheaper. :headbang:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128310&page=8

Same rims I have in my basement for when the GL gets lifted!

The tires however... :slobber:

What did the rims come from?

yeah those tires are pretty awesome, for $800 they should be:headbang:

the rims are off a chevy or toyota I think. the only thing I know about them is they are 15x6 and I got them off craigslist for $75 lol

I may have to get a set of those tires for my car. you know, so it doesn't get jealous.:-p

Edited by AKghandi

Lookin good man! Are those rims 15x 7? I'm trying to figure out the right width to keep my tires mostly under the fenders..

yeah 15x6 or 15x7 not really sure, if you want better offset go for some off an isuzu trooper. they seem to have a much better offset. these stick out a few inches.

Looks good!

-Bill

Thanks! it wouldn't be the same without your lift!

although I did have a slight problem with the front lift blocks, the center section isnt quite straight with the bottom section. so they dont sit flush on the top hats, as a result the front tires are cambered out by a degree or two. I will be taking them off and grinding the lips out so they sit flush. For the price I cant complain though :)

I have some more things to do to it, like crank up the rear struts so the tires wont rub. and figure out some fender flares, so it doesnt get so dirty so quick.

took it wheeling the other day, did pretty dam good. needs a welded rear though.

307321_3835557386982_573326230_n.jpg

531827_3835963237128_868198797_n.jpg

537009_3835974877419_740029725_n.jpg

Stay tuned.

Edited by AKghandi

looks as though it has a bad headlight relay, judging from the pic. thing looks awesome!

good eye, yeah theres something up with the headlights, the high beams dont work, but if i hold the lever just right one will go on high beam..

havent looked into it yet but its on my list. after I get my subaru fixed I got a whole load of parts to go onto it but I've been busy with this one.