Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spares what should i carry

ferp420

i hoping to make it down to the king of the hammers i want to flat tow my subi about 450 miles down there and have some fun since i have a hole pile of parts right now what brakes the most besides axles i want to put together a spare parts box for wheelin i have lots of room i just want to be able to tow it home thanks

alternator. in my opinion, the oem alternator is the most unreliable piece of ************ that has gone into these cars other than the clock.

in my kit, i have:

6' fuel line

spare upper and lower radiator hoses

timing belts and timing pullies (idler and tensioners.)

spare v-belts

coolant

rotella 10w30.

axle grease

extra front and rear axle.

tool kit to do anything on the car, 2 breaker bars.

wiring kit/soldering iron

hi-lift jack

tow straps

fuel pump

alternator

jackstands.

LOTS OF ZIP TIES. large ones with tensile ratings over 150 lbs are especially useful.

small halfy camping pad and tarp. they fit nearly anywhere when folded up, like under the rear seat, if you still have it. i was extremely grateful for it when i was replacing an axle on a hot windy beach. i used the tarp for wind/sun/sand shelter, and laid on the pad instead of hot rump roast sand. ever since then, it was part of my kit.

you should add:

preset tie rods, a left and a right. that way you can just bolt them straight in, and not worry about alignment if you jank it up.

radius rods. consider fabricating your spares nice and thick, as well as the ones on the car.

a single hub. if you have a spare tire carrier, you could modify it and weld an axle spline to the carrier in such a way that it holds a spare hub/conewasher/axlenut.

a big jug of water for yourself. it's hot out there. run a little bit of tubing from a 5 gallon jug to a camelbak bite valve, hanging within reach. you will thank me later.

confine all your spare parts and tools to a pack no bigger than 3 milk crates full, with exception to axles and tires. whatever you choose to carry this tool kit, make sure its all secured down. no need to have things flying around and breaking ************. if its going to be a dedicated rig, just bolt some crates to the floor, or rig up a cargo net.

I'm not competing just watching I hope anyway so ok are all the hubs interchangable or do I need a front and a.rear hubs I'm hoping to install my 100amp marine alternator I got for the scout since it won't work with my new set up I've spent my share of time out in the mojave so I'm more than aware of the conditions and hell its winter I'm more worried about the cold than the heat spare tire is on the back rack with the 2 gas cans ill toss in all the front end parts I just hope my strength holds out long snuff to get the duel range and new motor in if not ill run it as is single range with a small water leak somewhere thanks

Spare light bulbs for each light are small, and useful. A mixed handful of fuses of varying sizes and amperage are good, too. Relays, etc. All that sort of thing can fit in one or two little film canister/big pill bottle type thing; toss them in the glove box and you're good to go.

Also missing from the list: duct-tape. I wrap it around water bottles, lighters, etc. It is fairly easy to put 4-6 feet around a nalgene, and comes in VERY handy.

I have no big parts to add to the list, and second all that are there.

Trailer and tow strap ;)........

Hell yah that would definitely increase the fun level but I would have to drive the impeza or ouback till I coul d build a new daily no fun in that ill just try not to rip the suspension out from underneath the car we will be towing the car so as long as it rolling I'm good

duel range and new motor swap went well but took a few days longer than i would have liked so i dident finnish my fiberglass fenders or paint the car but since the tow rig has a bad bearing in the rear end and wont make the trip im going to drive my loyale 465 miles stick to necessary wheelin and save the car for the ride home i also dont have the space in the car anymore so its gona limit my spares i can carry but i probly wont need them anyway i hope anyway leaving in a few hours will post pics and vids asap when i get back enjoy

car did great made the 1200 mile trip with out any problems put about 150 miles of desert traval between spectator points and to hammer town and back to camp did some steap hill climbs in deep sand pasing stuck jeeps stoping and starting again in the deepsand on a steep hills hit some tight atv trails some crosscountry deasert traval and played in every sand pit gully or wash i could find the car dident like the woops i couldent find a sweet spot with it  i did manage to get some pics and vids but ill put thoughs ina new thread oh and ecsept for a electrical short in the lights nothing broke