Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any other car brand parts fit a 1998 Outback?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 remagenman

remagenman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • APO AE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Stationed here overseas with a couple of strip yards around but no Outbacks. Any other car brand cross-match a 1998 Outback?

Just got this car and its starting to dig a hole in my pocket! thanks.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,303 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

in the US market the 95 - 99 legacys, L, LS LSi, Brighton Outbacks, cars all have the same general body styles. so the fenders, hoods, doors, interiors etc will swap.

the drive trains, power trains are pretty much the same for all cars built in that time frame, imprezas and foresters included. (forget about the WRX or SVX, they are unique.) 99 was a transition year, some some engines are different and some auto trans are different.

in the european or aisan markets the year span could be 94 - 98, or maybe 96 - 00. but if the car looks like yours the parts will most likely fit yours. but ask first just to be sure.

what does your car need?

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,704 posts
  • Texas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I think some alternators are shared with Nissan but, it's gonna be on a case-by-case basis. Some brake calibers might be found on other cars - maybe starters?

some folks here might be able to help if you let us know specifically what the issue is.

#4 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

I hear a lot of transmission parts are Nissan - atleast the auto's. The key I believe is the same as Nissan.

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,704 posts
  • Texas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I hear a lot of transmission parts are Nissan - atleast the auto's. The key I believe is the same as Nissan.

ooh! you're right , JATCO supplies nissan and soob (well, for a significant number of year I'd guess)

History

The modern JATCO was formed after Nissan spun off its AT/CVT (automatic transmission/continuously variable transmission) development divisions and its Fuji manufacturing plant into a company called TransTechnology, Ltd in June 1999.[1] TransTechnology Ltd. and JATCO Corp., both affiliates of Nissan, agreed to merge in October 1999 to become JATCO TransTechnology Ltd. JATCO was established in 1970 to manufacture automatic transmissions.[1]
In October 2001, as part of its restructuring, Mitsubishi Motors agreed to merge its transmission division with Nissan's transmission subsidiary Jatco TransTechnology Ltd.[2][3] The combined company settled on JATCO Ltd. in April, 2002. Nissan and Mitsubishi equity holdings in JATCO after the share exchange stand at 82% and 18% respectively.
When it was still the transmission manufacturing division of Nissan, it partnered with Mazda, and thus Jatco, had long been supplying Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki, BMW, Volkswagen, MG Rover Group and Land Rover. However, once it was independent, Jatco quickly began supplying other automakers:
December 1999 — Hyundai Motor CompanyJanuary 2001 — Jaguar CarsDecember 2001 — London Taxis InternationalJanuary 2002 — Ford EuropeApril 2002 — Renault Samsung MotorsApril 2002 — Ford Lio HoApril 2004 — Changan FordDecember 2005 — DaimlerChrysler U.S.A.October 2006 - Renault Today, JATCO become one of the biggest supplier of CVT,[4] and products from nearly every auto maker have used Jatco transmissions, with the notable exceptions of Honda Motor Company, who makes their own transmissions, and Toyota Motor Company, who has always used transmissions made by Aisin, a subsidiary of Toyota. GM continues to produce a majority of its transmissions through GM Powertrain an outgrowth of Hydramatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco

#6 remagenman

remagenman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • APO AE

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Late reply but I need an alternator and eventually a ABS sensor, damn rain here is making it hard to work on the car at the moment.

#7 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 864 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Some Saab parts cross over. The 9-2x was basically an Impreza.

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,628 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

In what country are you stationed?

Ordering car parts on line from ebay motors, or from other car parts companies may be an option, providing shipping costs and delivery time delay are not outrageous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users