Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To rebuild or not...What do you think?

Okay, i just bought another EA81. Reportedly 153000 miles, good runner, from a guy who bought it 2 years ago from another guy who did a EJ swap in his Brat. I got it sight unseen and planned on just working it over gasket wise then dropping her in. My indecisiveness kicks in as I drop the oil, etc. The oil was black tar in the bottom of the pan. It had quite a few leaks so I pulled everything I could. I did not and do not have a way to test compression except by just turning the crank. 2 of the plugs had a lot of black wet oil on them. When you look in the spark plug holes, you can see the top of the pistons look wet and dirty. I have the original 85 engine with a broken crank (I think) and 108,000 miles, a 82 EA with unknown miles and either cracked head or blown gasket and now this one. What I would like to do is just go ahead and crack the engine, use the 85 heads with hydro lifters on the block I just got. Clegg sells engine kits for various prices and parts so I thought I would just do it right and completely rebuild it. What do you think? My last engine was a just buy it and drop it in kind of thing that back fired on me so I have wasted enough money on wrong things and do not want to waste anymore time. I have new oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, distributor, coil, carb and everything else. My only thing needed is a good long block. What do you guys suggest? I just figured I would get the "pulse" before I jump in. Thanks as always.

Most likely (in my mind) for your oily engine is that the PCV system is gunked up, and oil is being sucked in through the intake. Clean it up a little, check over the PCV system, and drop it in. Do an oil change earlier than usual.

These engines are sturdy beasts. I have never head of a broken crank (I think that you would have to remove one and beat it with a sledgehammer to break it), the heads do not crack, and except for abuse the short-block just does not wearout.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old post I started.  With 15 inch 10 ply BFG tires, I know that my wheels alone sap precious power but even before I lifted it, 6 bolted it and 10 plied it, this thing still would not hold 50 mph on straight runs of highway.  Compression is okay but one cylinder is 95lbs, one 105lbs and two others 115lbs.  It uses no oil and does not smell but I still have problems with it inconsistently idling.  It is too nice to not use with very little rust and 109,000 original miles.  I have two options I want to pursue:  One, either rebuild the original 85 engine with the crank that is at an odd angle and the disty getting pushed out or 2; drop in a 2.2. 

I have never had an actual 1.8 that did not have some problems so I do not know what to expect for power if you would rebuild one.  They have always been weak or just did not run well.  

How would a 1.8 freshened up run compared to the used 2.2 with fuel injection?  I just want to be able to run it on the highway as a daily driver.   

I just got an outback with the 2.2 and a 5 speed.  The power seems awesome and it runs so nice.  (625 bucks with clutch problems).  It is too nice to cut up so I am thinking about a salvage engine, y pipe etc. 

As always, thanks for the help.

How would a 1.8 freshened up run compared to the used 2.2 with fuel injection?  I just want to be able to run it on the highway as a daily driver.   

How would they compare?

Like Gary Coleman vs. LeBron James in a basketball game. 

My 84 wagon runs 31 x10.5 mud tires on 15" rims........2.2 does great I cruise 65~70 easily in 5th on flats.......hills I still use 4th.