Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Proper running temperature EJ22

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Just wondering what the safe operating temp for an EJ22 is. What temp should I be concerned about. Currently my car runs anywhere from 110-140 depending on driving. However it can get up to 170 when I am driving offroad.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Proper temp is 195 to 205 using a 172 thermostat. It should not fluctuate with driving except within this range. Your temps are much too low and can cause serious engine wear as the engine was not designed to run at 110. The tolerances between the components are going to be too loose and accelerated wear will be the result.

GD

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,701 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Not to mention your emissions and fuel mileage will be reduced runing that cool. SOunds like your T-stat is stuck open

#4 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I am pretty sure that it had a colder t-stat. 135 I think.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I've never even seen a 135 for sale. About 160 is the lowest you will usually see. Also the EJ uses cold-side control so a 135 thermostat will actually result in temps around 155 to 165. Thus you should still never see it run at 110 or ever 140 as under both conditions the thermostat should be closed and cause the engine temp to rapidly rise.

GD

#6 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I've never even seen a 135 for sale. About 160 is the lowest you will usually see. Also the EJ uses cold-side control so a 135 thermostat will actually result in temps around 155 to 165. Thus you should still never see it run at 110 or ever 140 as under both conditions the thermostat should be closed and cause the engine temp to rapidly rise.

GD

Well ************. Guess I will ask Mike Appel what he did to it lol.

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,448 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sounds like the thermostat has been removed.

Where are you getting these temp readings?

#8 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Sounds like the thermostat has been removed.

Where are you getting these temp readings?

From a temp gauge lol. The previous owner said that they put in a 145(?) t-stat. I will be checking it soon hopefully. Do I have to drain the radiator first? This is my first EJ22.

#9 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,448 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

From a temp gauge lol. The previous owner said that they put in a 145(?) t-stat. I will be checking it soon hopefully. Do I have to drain the radiator first? This is my first EJ22.

Lol?
What temp gauge?
It must be after market if it has numbers on it indicating temperature. Where is the sender unit installed on the engine? What brand is the gauge? Is it analog? Digital? Point here is, do you KNOW if the gauge is accurate?

What year is this car?

Surely there must have been a reason for installing such a low temperature rated thermostat, but what that reason is we may never know. Could there have been some problems with overheating?

Edited by Fairtax4me, 30 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#10 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Lol?
What temp gauge?
It must be after market if it has numbers on it indicating temperature. Where is the sender unit installed on the engine? What brand is the gauge? Is it analog? Digital? Point here is, do you KNOW if the gauge is accurate?

What year is this car?

Surely there must have been a reason for installing such a low temperature rated thermostat, but what that reason is we may never know. Could there have been some problems with overheating?

It is an aftermarket. I think its from harbor freight lol. Nitrous is the brand. No I am not sure that it is accurate but the previous owner put the thermostat in there for wheelin. It was Mike Appel.

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Wheeling should not matter - as long as the cooling system is adequate and can reject the heat being created then there is no advantage to a lower temp thermostat - and if the cooling system sucks and can't reject the heat properly then a lower temp thermostat will only keep it from overheating for a slightly longer period of time - it will still overpower the system eventually if it's not rejecting the heat.

Installing a lower temp thermostat (except in very specific racing circumstances) is not a good idea unless the engine has been built specifically to run at a lower temp. That includes engine management that's been properly adjusted to correct for it.

I've owned dozens of wheeling rigs and NEVER had to run anything but stock temp thermostat's. With a proper cooling system this simply isn't needed and I cannot see a circumstance under which it would help even if the cooling system was marginal. If there was a flow restriction then gutting the thermostat would be a better temp fix.

GD

#12 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Wheeling should not matter - as long as the cooling system is adequate and can reject the heat being created then there is no advantage to a lower temp thermostat - and if the cooling system sucks and can't reject the heat properly then a lower temp thermostat will only keep it from overheating for a slightly longer period of time - it will still overpower the system eventually if it's not rejecting the heat.

Installing a lower temp thermostat (except in very specific racing circumstances) is not a good idea unless the engine has been built specifically to run at a lower temp. That includes engine management that's been properly adjusted to correct for it.

I've owned dozens of wheeling rigs and NEVER had to run anything but stock temp thermostat's. With a proper cooling system this simply isn't needed and I cannot see a circumstance under which it would help even if the cooling system was marginal. If there was a flow restriction then gutting the thermostat would be a better temp fix.

GD

Good to know. I'll get a stock thermostat soon. I'll just keep cardboard in front of the radiator for now.

#13 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Does this concept apply to the EA81 as well?
I'm guessing it does, seems like my Brat doesn't get real warm a far a the temp gauge goes, however no specific temps with the stock gauge.

No idea when temp gauge was changed last either, prolly should just change it. Thoughts...

Posted Image

I will double check this on the way home tonight, I believe this to be pretty close though.

Edited by Dinky26, 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#14 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,701 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

This "concept" applies to every single internal combustion engine that is out there (including air cooled).

I havent seen a 160 T Stat in AGES, the lowest i've seen is a 175 and highest is a 195.

I dont even think those numbers are even available for a subaru.

#15 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Actually the EJ stock thermostats are 172. So you have seen lower than 175. They are cold side control though so hot side is typically 195 with the difference being the delta across the air/coolant heat exchangers.

GD

#16 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Here is where my needle was sitting after my 15 minute drive home, or maybe the needle is just set far back. IDK.

[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/DInky261/IMAG0446_zps11e5e6dc.jpg[/IMG]

Any other way to get a temp reading?

Edited by Dinky26, 01 February 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#17 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Dash gauge is meaningless. Does the fan cycle on and off in response to the radiator thermo-switch? If so its fine. Drive on.

GD

#18 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Buy a non-contact, hand held infrared thermometer. 'Shoot' different locations of your engine as you wait for it to warm up. Shoot: water pump, radiator & hoses, heater hoses with heater on high, thermostat housing ABOVE and BELOW the split line. Monitor the increase in temperature.
Three items to replace at the same time are the thermostat, temperature sender for your dash indicator and the coolant fan switch.
Also be 'touchy-feely' on the radiator to monitor it from top to bottom.

#19 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Buy a non-contact, hand held infrared thermometer. 'Shoot' different locations of your engine as you wait for it to warm up. Shoot: water pump, radiator & hoses, heater hoses with heater on high, thermostat housing ABOVE and BELOW the split line. Monitor the increase in temperature.
Three items to replace at the same time are the thermostat, temperature sender for your dash indicator and the coolant fan switch.
Also be 'touchy-feely' on the radiator to monitor it from top to bottom.

Where is the temperature sender and coolant fan switch located? I will be replacing the t stat on Tuesday.

#20 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Look on the passenger side for both items. Fan switch on the side of the radiator. Do you have a deep 19mm socket? Temperature sender is just rear of the intake manifold, below the PCV hose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users