Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck Rear Axle Cup

EF78CF55-6706-412F-8A40-7E86DA43654A-867-000001450F74FD41_zps939f0c37.jpg

I've literally been hacking at this thing for like 4 hours with no luck whatsoever. Haven't got the damn thing to move a mm :mad: Been heating it up with my torch and hitting it with a 3lb hammer, pried at the inner part of the cup, and I've tried punching a hole through the middle of the cup to get to the stub bolt, not happening. I've taken those 5 bolts off around the cup and that didn't help either.

I read that pb blaster has helped but heat works better ? Anyone had luck with pb blaster ?

I just wanna put my passenger side rear disc brakes on for cryin out loud !!!

drill a hole in the bottom of the cup, in the inside as if you were going to drill into the stub shaft that comes out of the trans. then use a can of PB with a straw and spray some in the hole so it can get right on the shaft.

-=Suberdave=-

Yep. there's a little cap in the bottom of the axle cup. And if you have the E10 bit required, you can actually remove the stub with the cup still attached.

Unbolting the outer race for the carrier bearing (5 bolts on the case) will do you nothing. Go ahead and put those back in.

Well I hit the cup so many times that the center cap fell out and I now have full access to the stub bolt. I got the cup to move a tiny bit to the point where I can't fit my pin punch through the roll pin hole, but that's it lol :cool:

Might have to stop by tomorrow rob and grab that bit and see if that'll work

What size hammer are you using? I've got a harbor frieght 3lb. mini sledge that saved my butt when I last pulled rear axles. I smack a hell out of it for a while while rotating the cup so it didn't bind up. It will come off, just be persistent. When re-assembling I always use copper anti-seize on the stub shafts and spindles to prevent them from seizing again. Makes the pins a breeze to remove too.

Take care with the stub shaft retainer bolt, they're aluminum and your really gonna hate life when you strip it out and they aren't hard to snap either. I say you just find some hatred somewhere and keep hitting it. It'll give.

Josh

I'm using the exact same hammer, I gave up last night. Sprayed some pb in there and left it over night. Went back at it like an hour ago, heated it up. Smacked it, rotated it , smacked it, rotated, repeat. Came off in like 5-10 whacks lol FINALLY !! I broke that damn aluminum 5 lot housing that goes around the stub though :mad:

Subruise is gonna hook me up with one though

:headbang:

Nice.I also have cut them off .Several of them.If'n you are not able to "whack them off" LOL

You are able to cut close enough that you get right under the torx head of the bolt.Then the stub comes off, and you can take vice grips to the rest of the bolt.

IIRC...Its been a few years since I have had to do it that way.

cheers

Nice.I also have cut them off .Several of them.If'n you are not able to "whack them off" LOL

You are able to cut close enough that you get right under the torx head of the bolt.Then the stub comes off, and you can take vice grips to the rest of the bolt.

IIRC...Its been a few years since I have had to do it that way.

cheers

Damnit Brian, you would quote that haha:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip though !

Went back at it like an hour ago, heated it up. Smacked it, rotated it , smacked it, rotated, repeat. Came off in like 5-10 whacks lol FINALLY !!

Did you get that brief overwhelming feeling of triumph when it came off?

I usually do. I'll hit it once more after something comes loose just to be like Yeah! B'ya**.

Maybe that's just me.:rolleyes: