Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help replacing a key

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ultranub47

ultranub47

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mildenhall, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

My car is a 2001 Legacy B4 J-Spec. OK, so my wife lost our car key. I am in the military. I got my car in Japan. We have since moved to the UK. I know that I should have had a backup key made. I don't know why I didn't. Anyways, she lost our key. I need to get a new one. I would prefer not to spend $500 on one but that is what the Subaru dealer in London quoted us. I do not know if this model had an immobilizer or not. Can anyone help me out. I really just need for her to have a key to unlock the door and drive the car. I don't care if it has the electronic entry on it or not. I heard there was a code I could find to get a key cut, but I couldn't find any info on it. Any help... Please??

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,914 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

can you search ebay or whatever and find a picture of the type of key you had?

over here that year/vehicle takes a fairly standard, inexpensive remote and regular Subaru key that can be made anywhere for $20 or less. i have a bag of the electronic jokers in my garage, they weren't expensive.

so if yours is that much different even though it's the same year we might get help clarifying what key you have.

#3 ultranub47

ultranub47

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mildenhall, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image

Hopefully this will work and help... Thanks!

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,860 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Have you tried calling a locksmith?

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

have you treid a subaru dealer in japan if you gave them a vin they should be able to make a key and send it to you

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

thiss may sound silly i have herd of making a plastic key mould and puting in a plastic key to get a impretion of the teeth on the tumblers it had to be a certain plastic to work. There was a bunch of cars stolen by thiss method so if a car theif can do it it cant be that hard just a thought

#7 ultranub47

ultranub47

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mildenhall, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

My wife contacted a few locksmiths, but they said that it has an immoblizer and they can't do it. But, I was reading somewhere that the JP models don't have an immobilizer. Can anyone confirm this or tell me how I can? Anyone know if there are locksmiths out there that can make one of these keys? I havent called Japan yet but that is my next step... Thanks

#8 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,902 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Here's some info: See under 2 button
http://www.rjes.com/...mmobiliser.html
Doesn't really clarify if your "market" ie Japan used an immobilizer.

Edited by brus brother, 30 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#9 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

probly just unplug the imobleizer

#10 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Take the key core out of the trunk/hatch and they can make a key from that. They are easy to get out (two 8mm nuts )

#11 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

most 01 Subarus use a Nissan blank.

#12 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

do 's it have factory remote start ? i heard a rumer that to make it work with a chiped key they had to tape anuther key close to the immobleizer to give it a signal so remote start whould work worth a look anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users