Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car is a 2001 Legacy B4 J-Spec. OK, so my wife lost our car key. I am in the military. I got my car in Japan. We have since moved to the UK. I know that I should have had a backup key made. I don't know why I didn't. Anyways, she lost our key. I need to get a new one. I would prefer not to spend $500 on one but that is what the Subaru dealer in London quoted us. I do not know if this model had an immobilizer or not. Can anyone help me out. I really just need for her to have a key to unlock the door and drive the car. I don't care if it has the electronic entry on it or not. I heard there was a code I could find to get a key cut, but I couldn't find any info on it. Any help... Please??

can you search ebay or whatever and find a picture of the type of key you had?

over here that year/vehicle takes a fairly standard, inexpensive remote and regular Subaru key that can be made anywhere for $20 or less. i have a bag of the electronic jokers in my garage, they weren't expensive.

so if yours is that much different even though it's the same year we might get help clarifying what key you have.

thiss may sound silly i have herd of making a plastic key mould and puting in a plastic key to get a impretion of the teeth on the tumblers it had to be a certain plastic to work. There was a bunch of cars stolen by thiss method so if a car theif can do it it cant be that hard just a thought

My wife contacted a few locksmiths, but they said that it has an immoblizer and they can't do it. But, I was reading somewhere that the JP models don't have an immobilizer. Can anyone confirm this or tell me how I can? Anyone know if there are locksmiths out there that can make one of these keys? I havent called Japan yet but that is my next step... Thanks