Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Subaru Outback - Which fuel filter brand?

I've always ended up using the OE filter, wasn't that much more and was more readily available for me. With that said, I don't see any problem using a WIX or Purolator (if they make one).

Have you changed it before at all? I was surprise there isn't that much residual pressure in the fuel system even after waiting only 10-15 mins to pull the hoses. Couple dribbles of gas was about it. The real pain can be wrestling those hoses off the barbs on the filter, especially if they've been attached a while!

I've always ended up using the OE filter, wasn't that much more and was more readily available for me. With that said, I don't see any problem using a WIX or Purolator (if they make one).

Have you changed it before at all? I was surprise there isn't that much residual pressure in the fuel system even after waiting only 10-15 mins to pull the hoses. Couple dribbles of gas was about it. The real pain can be wrestling those hoses off the barbs on the filter, especially if they've been attached a while!

No, I've personally never changed it and honestly I'm not sure if/when it was last changed.

Do I need to do anything special if I decide to change the hoses as well? Or do I just depressurize it the same as if I'm just replacing the fuel filter and replace the hoses too.

no nothing special other than remove the gas cap and release pressure in the tank.

hardest part is twisting the hose to break it free from the barb. once it snaps free and rotates, it comes off easy enough. use a small metal catch can, a little fuel will pour out, maybe 1/3 cup.

use a dab of dielectric grease for the reinstall.

no nothing special other than remove the gas cap and release pressure in the tank.

hardest part is twisting the hose to break it free from the barb. once it snaps free and rotates, it comes off easy enough. use a small metal catch can, a little fuel will pour out, maybe 1/3 cup.

use a dab of dielectric grease for the reinstall.

I used to do this as well, until recently. Di-electric grease is silicone based, which when introduced to the fuel system can cause silicone fouling of the O2 sensor. Silicone fouling doesn't typically burn off very easily. It usually means you have to replace the sensor.

Silicone is also not good for fuel lines since they're designed to be resistant to petroleum. And typically hoses made for petroleum exposure tend to deteriorate when exposed to silicone.

Petroleum jelly works the best.

thanks for the redirect. looks like I've been doing it wrong.

like dissolves like

silicone lubes dissolve silicone hoses

vaseline dissolves natural rubber (petroleum based)

use silicone grease for non-silicone rubber

use vaseline for silicone rubber hoses like fuel lines, keep sensors happy :clap: