Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2002 Subaru Outback - Which fuel filter brand?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm doing a lot of maintenance to my Outback since it just reached the 120K miles mark.

Should I buy:

1) The original Subaru fuel filter for $27

2) The Wix fuel filter for $24

3) Some other brand that you recommend?

:banana:

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wix oil filters are of high quality, so I think their fuel filters would be high quality as well.

IMO, I am not picky about what brand of fuel filter to use. I have never had any trouble with any brand that I have used.

#3 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've always ended up using the OE filter, wasn't that much more and was more readily available for me. With that said, I don't see any problem using a WIX or Purolator (if they make one).

Have you changed it before at all? I was surprise there isn't that much residual pressure in the fuel system even after waiting only 10-15 mins to pull the hoses. Couple dribbles of gas was about it. The real pain can be wrestling those hoses off the barbs on the filter, especially if they've been attached a while!

#4 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've always ended up using the OE filter, wasn't that much more and was more readily available for me. With that said, I don't see any problem using a WIX or Purolator (if they make one).

Have you changed it before at all? I was surprise there isn't that much residual pressure in the fuel system even after waiting only 10-15 mins to pull the hoses. Couple dribbles of gas was about it. The real pain can be wrestling those hoses off the barbs on the filter, especially if they've been attached a while!

No, I've personally never changed it and honestly I'm not sure if/when it was last changed.

Do I need to do anything special if I decide to change the hoses as well? Or do I just depressurize it the same as if I'm just replacing the fuel filter and replace the hoses too.

#5 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

no nothing special other than remove the gas cap and release pressure in the tank.
hardest part is twisting the hose to break it free from the barb. once it snaps free and rotates, it comes off easy enough. use a small metal catch can, a little fuel will pour out, maybe 1/3 cup.
use a dab of dielectric grease for the reinstall.

#6 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I like wix I have replaced a couple legacy filters with wix I've never had a problem

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,422 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

no nothing special other than remove the gas cap and release pressure in the tank.
hardest part is twisting the hose to break it free from the barb. once it snaps free and rotates, it comes off easy enough. use a small metal catch can, a little fuel will pour out, maybe 1/3 cup.
use a dab of dielectric grease for the reinstall.

I used to do this as well, until recently. Di-electric grease is silicone based, which when introduced to the fuel system can cause silicone fouling of the O2 sensor. Silicone fouling doesn't typically burn off very easily. It usually means you have to replace the sensor.
Silicone is also not good for fuel lines since they're designed to be resistant to petroleum. And typically hoses made for petroleum exposure tend to deteriorate when exposed to silicone.
Petroleum jelly works the best.

#8 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

thanks for the redirect. looks like I've been doing it wrong.

like dissolves like
silicone lubes dissolve silicone hoses
vaseline dissolves natural rubber (petroleum based)

use silicone grease for non-silicone rubber
use vaseline for silicone rubber hoses like fuel lines, keep sensors happy :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users