Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing outer tie rod without busting boot?

I've always had good luck hitting the knuckle with a hammer, those pickle fork tools are impossible to use without busting the boot. I only use them when I know I'm going to replace the ends.

yes, whack the knuckle with a hammer. heavier hammer works best. This will be demonstrated in my upcoming continuation of the 'art of subaru maintenance' videos within the next few days.

I use my 8lb. "mini sledge" generally. Hasn't failed me yet lol

Yep I have done that several times sometimes it works sometimes not just have to cross you fingers and hope for the best. If the ends are rusty might want to soak th with some penetrant for a while.

well shiver me timbers was gonna get one of those anyway for ball joints. tie rods too, sold and done! thanks.

I have two of them and I've used them hundreds of times. Neither has ever failed in any way - nor have they failed to remove any ball joint or tie rod end or ever ripped a boot.

Would I have recommended it here on the forum and to my friend Gary if that were not the case?!?

:horse:

AAAHA HA!!!! :D

the other thing you can do if you do not have your special tool handy, is to remove the castle nut and thread on a lug nut. now you can whack on the nut and not booger the threads or the castle nut.

but a good whack to the knuckle has always worked for me.

and i didn't even go to catholic school. :brow:

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I also have always had luck with a large ball peen hammer...The heavier the better. Back the castle nut off a little but not too far or if you miss you will bend/dent one of the points of the castle. There is also a smaller version of a pittman arm puller that puts pressure on the tie rod and will eventually pop it out. I also use a modified pittman arm puller on ball joints to get them apart.