Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at high mileage 93 Legacy wagon

Hi, I am not new to the forum I just usually don't post because my questions are usually found and answered in the forum somewhere. But now I have a question....

I am looking at a high mileage 272xxx miles on a 93 Legacy wagon. Automatic,looked for

oil leaks and really didn't see anything to report. No rust, does have a crappy drivers side

rear door bashed by a hit-n-run turd. Otherwise pretty sweet ride. Drives nice and straight

and trany shifts right nice. Steering nice and tight, does not drift to either side. Maintenance

records not available so timing belt,h2o pump,pulleys,etc. would be on list to change if I get

the car. $700.00.

I have located several doors as replacements but wrong color and would have to repaint.

Could this be an ok deal?

I believe that this is some kind of deluxe model. Moon roof (works) really neat stereo system (works great) nice leather covered steering wheel

nice covered seats. Lights in the bottom of the doors. At the u pull it yard I looked inside many early and several latter Legacies and like the 93

Legacy I am looking at a LOT more.

Edited by CrankyAl
Add more goodies

Tough to get taken on a running/driving car under $1000.

I drive a 97 Impreza with 268k running fine.

Wife drives a 2000 Outback with 320k running fine.

Subarus are known for going on and on seemingly forever. The early legacies are known to be a very dependable generation. If it's as nice as you described it, I wouldn't hesitate. Don't let mileage scare you. If it made it to higher mileage like that it was because someone took care of it and didn't beat it to death after it turned 100k

Thanks for your input folks. I have been fence sitting and pondering what my decision will be about this particular Legacy. I had been falling toward buying it,but I decide to get some input from the Subie Gurus. Going to get it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Allan

From how you described the car, it sounds like it has some good life left in it. A '93 would have the very dependable 2.2 motor in it. Yes, there is prolly a good chance that it needs the timing belt replaced, but not to worry a lot, because that 2.2 motor is non interference. Breaking the timing belt just stops the motor without causing valve damage. Just replace the TB, and your good to go again.

Good to have you on this forum. Good luck with your "new" 93........Rooster2