Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

05 Forester turbo stalling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

I have I car coming in tomorrow(05 forester turbo manual) that stalls intermittently when coming to a stop. It a has a CEL that shows a #4 cylinder misfire. I plan to address that first but I doubt that is causing the stalling. In my experience the stalling issue + no related CEL = failing mass air flow meter.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,740 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

A dead misfire could cause stalling as the engine idles down. Gotta wonder if cylinder 4 is the only misfire. Any idea how many miles are on the car?

#3 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

just over 100,000 miles. This car has had its fair share of recent repairs: new turbo and new AC compressor are the two biggies. Subaru must have changed who made their AC compressors around 04-05. I have replaced only 1 or 2 compressors (in the past 10 years) on the early body styles and Ive replaced 5 locked up compressors on 2004-06 foresters and imprezas.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,740 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Turbo went bad because of infrequent oil changes? I see a picture of an engine full of sludge and an intake full of carbon deposits. :/

#5 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Would you suggest an inspection the throttle body/clean. Im not sure what octane of gas they were running.... what are the damages that can incur from running to low of octane in these engines?

#6 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,740 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

On a turbo, extreme amounts of detonation/pinging. The ECU would be working overtime pulling back timing and boost to keep the engine from destroying itself.
Pinging leads to cracked ring lands, cracked spark plugs... most extreme would be the eventual hole through the piston because of pre-ignition, or rod through the block after the piston shatters from very heavy detonation.

I would check out the throttle body and clean the plate and bore if needed. I'd also check out the idle control solenoid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users