Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 OBW poor MPG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have a 99 OBW, 2.5 auto. It has 187,000 and starts good and runs normal. I’ve been getting 12 MPG or less in all around town driving. It used to get more like 17 MPG around town. This has been going on for awhile, not just a new thing with cold outside temperatures. From reading, this could be lots of things, including mass air sensor, air or water temperature sensors, or bad injectors among other things. Is there any preferred order to check into these things? Does anybody have any good troubleshooting methods?.

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would start by knowing your basics are good.......... How good are the spark plugs, plug wires? Has the EGR valve been cleaned/changed? Does motor warm up normally? If not, the water temp sensor or thermostat may be bad. Any of these things can cause poor mpg.

#3 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Plugs and wires may be a good place to start, They were done about 45,000 miles ago with genuine subaru parts. The EGR moves when you blip it and the EGR ports were checked clear in the last year. The temp gauge comes up pretty quick and heater works well, but the water temp sensor for the computer could still be bad? Appreciate the insight.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,747 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Starts fine, runs fine, bad mileage, probably a bad front O2 sensor.
If you put in copper plugs last time they could probably stand to be replaced by now, but I've never had spark plugs make a huge difference in fuel mileage unless they were causing misfires.

#5 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Definitely replace the front O2 sensor with an OEM unit. I think the 99 came with a Bosch. They are different parts for auto and stick. should cost around $100 but at 14mpg you it will pay for itself pretty quickly. I would also change the plugs too.... they might be a little black and sooty

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Do you have a CEL (check engine light on)? If so, pull the engine codes to learn the problem. Once fixed, your mpg should improve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users