Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i think I am going to start offering complete rebuilt engines (phase I 2.2 , phase II 2.5 and maybe 2.0 turbos) to my customers. I have seen an increase in failed rings and knocking lower ends due to people letting the HG issue go to long. In addition it has been getting harder and harder for me to find good used engines locally.

So my questions go out to those of you that have been doing this for awhile.

-Do you have the cranks polished vs ground?

-do you get the rods reground?

-do the cylinders need honed vs reamed?

-what brands of bearing and rings do you use?

-any other suggestions?

I always use OEM gaskets, HG, pumps, etc.

So my questions go out to those of you that have been doing this for awhile.

-Do you have the cranks polished vs ground?

Depends on how badly they are damaged. Left up to the discretion of my machinist.

-do you get the rods reground?

Never - if they are damaged they are replaced.

-do the cylinders need honed vs reamed?

Never. If the cylinders are damaged the block is not used. Honing is never done on my engines. It will cause piston slap and oil consumption. Rings will seat just fine without honing. Cylinder damage is unusual.

-what brands of bearing and rings do you use?

NPR rings (Nippon), and ACL bearings.

I always use OEM gaskets, HG, pumps, etc.

I don't. I use OEM head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets, oil pumps & coolers, oil pans, and coolant hoses. The rest I source from the aftermarket - Aisin water pumps, Mitsuboshi timing belts, NTK and Koyo idlers, etc.

As for the 2.2 and 2.0 engines - rebuilding them is a big waste of time. If you are going to do it - rebuild the 2.5's. You can bolt 2.0 turbo heads to a 257 with cometic gaskets and the cost difference is not significant vs. rebuilding the 2.0. The 2.2's are too easily sourced from Japan and in good used condition to warrant rebuilding them. 2.5 turbo and non turbo are the only blocks I consider rebuilding.

GD

yeah that was my thought on the 2.2 engines until recently... I ahve had several issues with my source for japanese 2.2s(Japan Engines in Cincinnati which is part of the larger Japan Engines nationwide) .... I dont trust them anymore. I think they are power cleaning and clear coating whatever engine they can get and selling them as "japan" engines. I also have had issues with the same company selling my customer a "rebuilt" 2.5 sohc. we are on our third and every time the customer has had to pay me to swap. He is about to go into litigation. I would rather do it myself and know its done right.

I disagree about the 2.2 rebuilds. There's a market around here among people who want a brand new (or at least rebuilt) 2.2 engine; and are willing to pay for it.

I've done 4 this last year, in spite of recommending a good used engine, some people insist on it.

More money for my go fasts.

• Like 1