Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Zero mile engines

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

So i think I am going to start offering complete rebuilt engines (phase I 2.2 , phase II 2.5 and maybe 2.0 turbos) to my customers. I have seen an increase in failed rings and knocking lower ends due to people letting the HG issue go to long. In addition it has been getting harder and harder for me to find good used engines locally.

So my questions go out to those of you that have been doing this for awhile.
-Do you have the cranks polished vs ground?
-do you get the rods reground?
-do the cylinders need honed vs reamed?
-what brands of bearing and rings do you use?
-any other suggestions?

I always use OEM gaskets, HG, pumps, etc.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

So my questions go out to those of you that have been doing this for awhile.
-Do you have the cranks polished vs ground?

Depends on how badly they are damaged. Left up to the discretion of my machinist.

-do you get the rods reground?

Never - if they are damaged they are replaced.

-do the cylinders need honed vs reamed?

Never. If the cylinders are damaged the block is not used. Honing is never done on my engines. It will cause piston slap and oil consumption. Rings will seat just fine without honing. Cylinder damage is unusual.

-what brands of bearing and rings do you use?

NPR rings (Nippon), and ACL bearings.

I always use OEM gaskets, HG, pumps, etc.

I don't. I use OEM head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets, oil pumps & coolers, oil pans, and coolant hoses. The rest I source from the aftermarket - Aisin water pumps, Mitsuboshi timing belts, NTK and Koyo idlers, etc.

As for the 2.2 and 2.0 engines - rebuilding them is a big waste of time. If you are going to do it - rebuild the 2.5's. You can bolt 2.0 turbo heads to a 257 with cometic gaskets and the cost difference is not significant vs. rebuilding the 2.0. The 2.2's are too easily sourced from Japan and in good used condition to warrant rebuilding them. 2.5 turbo and non turbo are the only blocks I consider rebuilding.

GD

#3 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

yeah that was my thought on the 2.2 engines until recently... I ahve had several issues with my source for japanese 2.2s(Japan Engines in Cincinnati which is part of the larger Japan Engines nationwide) .... I dont trust them anymore. I think they are power cleaning and clear coating whatever engine they can get and selling them as "japan" engines. I also have had issues with the same company selling my customer a "rebuilt" 2.5 sohc. we are on our third and every time the customer has had to pay me to swap. He is about to go into litigation. I would rather do it myself and know its done right.

#4 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I disagree about the 2.2 rebuilds. There's a market around here among people who want a brand new (or at least rebuilt) 2.2 engine; and are willing to pay for it.

I've done 4 this last year, in spite of recommending a good used engine, some people insist on it.

More money for my go fasts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users