Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 Brat Door Locks

Been there and done that with the door locks on my 80 Brat. They are fairly easy to get at. The connecting rods are probably not connected. Could be the door lock as well. There is a little arm that goes from the handle to the actuator.

As for electric, good luck, lol.........

I haven't done it yet, but power lock conversions are simple for this style of door. the rod for the lock mechanism runs the length of the door so you just need to mount the actuator somewhere along it's path and clamp it to the rod.

Similar to this:

http://www.tercelreference.com/articles/power_door_lock_installation/power_door_lock_installation.html

It will be the little plastic piece that holds the connecting rod to the lock part by a small rod. The little plastic clip sometimes breaks off and the rod just comes out. Both my doors were like that on my 78 Brat. Just had my passenger door apart on Sunday and put another clip in there and problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh.. my brat drivers door lock won't unlock from the outside. Just this month.

Now regretting not having hoarded the wagon latchings..

have a 90 Jetta and ice expands at least one handle per season into broken. $15 a pop. run out of options every four years.

Edited by kayoteq