Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Growling and it ain't my stomach...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

93 Loyale, 5MT FWD.

Driving on the highway this afternoon I heard what I thought was tire noise. It was a growling sound. I thought a tire was making noise. I got off the highway onto a surface street and slowed to a stop at an intersection the growling slowed as I slowed the car. Pressing in the clutch did not change the noise. Coasting with the clutch pedal depressed did not alter the growling.

I checked the tires and they seem to be fine. It definitely sounds like it is from the rear. I am thinking wheel bearing. Does that sound about right?

I will take it to Les Schwab tomorrow and have them take a look. If it is a wheel bearing, do they have to be replaced in pairs (e.g. both left and right) or can one corner be replaced that is bad? What price range should I expect to pay to get this fixed?

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,477 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

IT could possible be caused by a loose axle nut. Check that the cotter pin is present. The nut WILL back out if the WASHERS are not installed correctly. The washer is a spring washer and must be installed with the convex side towards the nut.

This can cause the rear wheel bearing to become loose (4wd), or the front hubs to strip out their splines. At least the FWD rear bearings are easy to service. JAck up the wheel and give it a wiggle. If the noise was acute i would think the front axle nut is loose.

#3 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 907 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Most likely bearings. Drive about 25mph on a smooth road that has no traffic. Slowly swerve back and forth and listen for a change in either the volume or the pitch of the growl. If it increases/changes when swerving right, it's the left bearing. Swerving left, it's the right. You only need to do the bearings on the side making the noise. I would go anywhere but Schlabby. Even if they manage to repair it correctly, they'll do it with cheap sh*t and then tell you the found 5 other 'critical' things wrong with your car. Jmtc....

#4 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

My first subaru, a 91 Loyale 5MT 4WD wagon was doing the same thing. At first it was hard for me to determine which wheel was making the growling noise while driving. I just put the entire car up on jackstands, started it up in third gear while engaged in 4WD high, and then walked around and listened to each wheel as it was spinning. I quickly determined it was the left rear wheel bearing. I found that removing the trailing arm and using the hydraulic press at work to remove and replace with a new bearing was simple and fast. Make sure your subie doesn't fall off the jackstand's whatever you do.:eek:

#5 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've also had good luck with going to the yard and pulling a trailing arm with a good, used bearing already installed. About $20 at PAP.

#6 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I've also had good luck with going to the yard and pulling a trailing arm with a good, used bearing already installed. About $20 at PAP.

thats also how i used to "replace" front wheel bearings "its grinding again, back to pnp for another knuckle" now i know the tap it in trick.

#7 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Rear left wheel bearing. I'm at the store now. Thanks to everyone for their coments. Can't complain.20 years out of wheel bearings is good in my book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users