Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seeking advice

I have kind of an odd job. I drive all over three counties photographing houses for RE investors, banks, etc. 100-200 miles a day in the Sierra foothills, from 3000 to 5000 feet, mostly windy little back roads, dirt roads, snow, ice, occasional stream fording. Little white wagon is nearly invisible to traffic cops..

My Loyal is nearly ideal for the task, small, agile, good mileage and traction. But, naturally, I'm trying to figure out how to improve it. The only weakness in all this is that the Loyale doesn't have an LSD in back, and the engine is kind of puny at or above 5000 feet, and I really could use all terrain tires a lot of the time, and there seems to be no such thing as 13" all terrain tires..

Obviously, I need to replace the Loyale with an RX turbo sedan. Obvious to me anyway, anybody have any second guesses for me?

Has the LSD, turbo will still work at altitude, still stuck with 13" wheels, still a little white box 4-dr that attracts no bears..

Am I being practical, or nuts?

have you gotten stuck yet? would the LSD positively help you? if so, buy one and install it.

nice to do a 5 lug conversion for the tires but that's a big step.

as you said - they can be a great little functional/practical vehicles, I'd keep it simple and enjoy it for what it is unless there's a compelling reason to entertain upgrades. of course it's fun to play so if you're just aiming for that - yeah tear it up. those EA82's are good at cheap high mileages, focus on that and it might be more palatable.

i'd rather have what you have than a turbo EA82, they're not that powerful and have higher maintenance, less reliable, etc for the kind of miles you're racking up. i mean they're okay if your cooling system is perfect, no leaks, and you never overheat it..and it's had a relatively well taken care of and uneventful past history. that takes some effort though on quarter century old hoses and gaskets. ideally they're all replaced for a high mileage practical commuter/work car.

RX is a fine vehicle, but I wouldn't walk away from the Loyale just yet.

Some bigger rims/tires and a little HP upgrade would make yours quite capable.

The LSD is a wonderful thing, but if you use your car on-road I think upgrading to an LSD is overkill. How often have you been stuck as a result of not having an LSD?

Wheels/tires - swap your loyale to 6 lug hubs. Or redrill some 6 lugs and you've got bigger rims with way more tire variety to choose from. Or find a set od Peugeot rims as throw them on. or get really fancy and steal some parts from an XT6 and go to 5x100 bolt pattern.

As for HP. I am assuming you have fuel injection? You will get more long term reliability by swapping an EJ18 or EJ22 into your Loyale than running an EA82T. Especially if you are putting on the kind of mileage you mentioned. Turbos are fun, but more maintenance and parts are harder to find.

If you're married to the LSD idea, they can be swapped onto your Loyale or you can weld your existing differential. I for one have never had any trouble on road with an open diff. LSDs in my mind are for off roading and rally stuff.

I would say you can get a lot more out of your loyale than an RX. Besides, RX's are pretty hard to find.

If you can find an RX in a scrap yard you could always filch the LSD and the 14" rims. By the way, a few manufacturers do make winter tyres in 13" although you might have to import them.

It's my understanding that the 160 lsd is geared something like 3.73, my Loyale is 4.10.

If there were a 4.10 lsd that would bolt in, I'd be looking for it. Can't imagine the struggle of changing both the diff and the tranny to get 3.73 at both ends, I reckon buy one so equipped is less bother..

It's my understanding that the 160 lsd is geared something like 3.73, my Loyale is 4.10.

If there were a 4.10 lsd that would bolt in, I'd be looking for it. Can't imagine the struggle of changing both the diff and the tranny to get 3.73 at both ends, I reckon buy one so equipped is less bother..

Subaru doesn't use 3.73 or 4.10

You're Loyale is 3.9

RX LSD diff is 3.7

Some Legacies and other newer subarus use 4.11 and 4.44

You can swap the LSD carrier into any of these, by swapping R & P sets .

The snow tires suggestion is pretty decent but they do wear pretty quick too.

An Impreza might suit you better. A little more power, same or better gas mileage and the 4.11 gears are certainly available in one. LSD rear is pretty easy to find too.