Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy saved my brothers life.

My brother was driving, and the engine stalled, he was in the middle of a sharper corner on a mountain road, with out the power steering he wasnt able to keep it in his lane, and went across into oncoming traffic and had a large ford f350 drive up and over the hood and windshield. It crushed the dash and steering coulomb onto his knees. He is lucky to be alive with just knee and leg issues. We are very thankful that the subaru kept him alive, the air bag did deploy.

IMG_09191.jpg

IMG_09201.jpg

By the pictures it doesnt look like the motor, would be savable, do any of you guys think other wise.

Edited by coolskaterkid

good to see he got out of that alive and barely injured ... love the question "can we save the engine?"

you could cut it out with a reciprocating saw, but from the look of the wreck the bellhousing will be toast and the front of the engine will need a new everything.

TOONGA

Glad your brother is okay. You can replace a Subie, but not your brother.

Wonder why the motor quit while driving? Still without power steering, the car can still be steered. Just takes more arm muscle.

you also need enough time to realize and react to your sudden change in situation. the brakes arent gonna help as much either. glad your brother is still among us. in the vein of james dean i wouldnt use any parts off that car. ya he lived, but not for lack of trying.

Glad your brother is okay. You can replace a Subie, but not your brother.

Wonder why the motor quit while driving? Still without power steering, the car can still be steered. Just takes more arm muscle.

Yea he just didnt have time to respond fast enough he said he tried to steer just didnt have the time to muscle it around the corner, hes a smaller guy. Im betting the timing belt snapped, it was over due i think around 120k on it. He got out of the doctors today and is home, both his knees are blue in color.

Yea he just didnt have time to respond fast enough he said he tried to steer just didnt have the time to muscle it around the corner, hes a smaller guy. Im betting the timing belt snapped, it was over due i think around 120k on it. He got out of the doctors today and is home, both his knees are blue in color.

Yea could be, there is no warning when a timing belt breaks. Works one second, motor totally quits the next. Hope his knees recover completely. Makes my knees hurt from just looking at the accident pictures.