Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from Southern Oregon

Hi to all.

I just picked up my first and second Subaru a couple months ago. I had a friend in high school back in the 80s that had a Brat. I loved It and have wanted one since.

I was checking out some of the cool stuff to be found on craigslist and this time there were actually several Brats for sale. Most of them went quickly, but I was able to come home with a rust free but not running or driveable 1980 Brat. My awesome wife even have the OK to pick up a couple if I could find them so I would have parts. I didn't find any other Brats worth buying, but I did find a running and not far from driveable 84 turbo, fuel injected 4 door for dirt cheap.

The Brat only took a couple weeks and a couple hundred dollars so far to find parts and have it on the road doing great except out has a pretty serious flat spot in the throttle response from the carburetor and it's in desperate need of new struts. I am still looking for a second Brat for parts and a source for struts. Maybe a Weber conversion if I can find a good deal on one. I am also considering a small lift and 6 lug conversion to make tires easier to find.

The sedan I am not sure what to do with yet. I could have It running and driving for less than the Brat took, but It has some more serious issues like a leaking sunroof and some window trim missing that could be really hard to find and looks really obviously missing. If I use It for parts, it gets me a larger turbo fuel injected engine with nearly double the horsepower, a 5 speed tranny with high and low range, rear disc brakes, and possibly more. I could even have air conditioning if I want to really make the swap painful.

So anyway, that's my story so far. I am looking forward to meeting people, and hearing thoughts, opinions, and advice as I go forward.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, Even more Subaru people around.  I'd love to meet people and see cars sometime.  I'm in with the Volkswagen clubs too (3 VW's along with the 2 Subarus), but most of what happens with them seems to be in Medford.  The two air cooled VW's have no heat, and the Jetta is too normal to be very exciting so winter even as warm as it is here is too long.  The Brat is different enough to have some cool value, and it's loads of fun to go where bigger 4wd's can and then keep going cause the bigger stuff won't fit.

• 1 year later...