Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 electronic distributor swap

I pulled a dizzy from an EA81 in a junkyard the other day. I got the coil and bracket with the transistor mounted to the bracket as well. Dizzy, coil, transistor and bracket are now mounted in the 78 Brat. I've left all wiring from the transistor to the coil as it was and connected the Brat's wiring to the coil, yellow to negative and black/red wires to positive on the coil. There is a blue wire and red wire coming from the new dizzy. There is a blue wire and a red wire from the new coil transistor. I wired those from the dizzy to the transistor matching the blue to blue and red to red. Is this correct? I haven't connected the battery yet as I'd like to see if anyone knows about this before I potentially fry something.

dizzymod2.jpg

Hey there thanks for the link. I had seen that post but was unsure about the blue and red wires from the distributor. I went ahead and cranked the car with it wired as in the picture and it is running fine after setting the timing. I have posted a video on youtube for anyone who is interested.

[video=youtube;1BdpL_EATyc]