Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought hi mileage 93 Legacy

Hi Folks,

I just aquired a hi mileage Legacy last week after pondering the sanity of buying such a car. 273xxx miles.

Automatic. I have several Loyals so I do know about Subaru maintenance and fixit issues.

I figured before buying the beast that I would replace the timing belt, H2O pump, belt pulleys,tensioner,

probably front crank seal, cam seals.....

Question....The belt kit I bought (mitzumo)Spell? includes the crank seal and cam seals. Are these seals

any good or should I buy OEM from Subaru. Also I would like to reseal the oil pump while in there. OEM

gaskets?? for the oil pump? Many thanks to such a GREAT forum!

Allan

oops, forgot to add thermostat, the one you mention in the forum. Also change oil and filter, air filter

Edited by CrankyAl

i would recomend oem seals, the belt is fine, ive used a few dozen, and its a non interferance motor, so no harm no foul.

and in my world that car is a baby, my daily 91 legacy is at 370, my last one died at 614k when a friend hit a deer, they will go as long as you wantthem too, good luck

Thanks CrawlerDan,  I figured I would  or should go to the stealership and buy OEM. Bad taste in my mouth though.

$52.65 for those seals!!!!

I know that some seals and gaskets from 3rd party sites work fine BUT some really need to be OEM to work properly.

Thanks for the input.