Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy GT steering rate?

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think there is a difference. but the way to tell is to look up the part number at http://opposedforces.com/parts .

once you have found the steering rack gor the GT, they call it something like steering gear i theink, once you have found it, click on the part number and then on the ''usage info''. that will give you a list of all the cars that part was used on.

I don't know about the GT, but I'm pretty sure it is 3.2 L to L.  Only Subarus with a quicker steering rate that I'm sure of is the 2004/5 WRX which is 2.6 L to   L. (There might be better ratios on the newer WRX and STi models but I haven't even looked at them).  Only reason I know this is my son's expertise along these lines; I bought a used steering rack with less miles than my car has from a 2005 and we're swapping it out into my '02 Impreza OBS wagon.

There is a modification that you can do to your existing rack to get down to 2.0 L to L.  Pretty pricey mod ($600+ installed) but worth every penny on my '97 Impreza DD and rallyX car.  Only downside is the steering isn't as light since the power steering pump has to do more work in less time.  I could solve that with a different pulley on the P/S pump but it's not really necessary.