Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fram / Subaru Oil Filter Recall

Wow Subaru brand oil filters are from fram? How long has it been like that?

Both car forums that I post on have had numerous posts over the years that Fram oil filters were not the best, so I have avoided them. I, too, am surprised that Subaru would sell rebranded Fram filters. Seems like they could have done a lot better.

If these are the small filter size that Subaru went to, I'm unaffected since I only buy the larger aftermarket version.  Also I've never had any problems with the Fram filters (over 15 years with more than 10 cars in the family).  I attribute that to changing them at 3000 miles when I do my oil changes, not the 7500 miles as suggested in the owner's manual.

I think I've seen them in blue/ black as well, but they sell the yellows here. And they are nice, as long as the grit they use in the paint doesn't get all down IN the filter. I usually just get the white ones. I don't put them on tight enough to have to really wrench on them. If I can't remove it by hand it's too tight.

The filters in question are the BLUE OEM Subaru oil filters manufactured for Subaru of America by Honeywell. They own the FRAM brand so they are indeed FRAM, however, they differ from the FRAM oil filters that can be purchased from auto parts stores because of the Subaru spec bypass valve.

Oh, and for those who don't have a pdf file reader... the following information is what you need, taken from the article.

filter part number affected is 15208AA12A

The date code is a six character alpha numeric code. In the above example, the Date Code is A22713. For our purposes, the relevant characters are the first, second, third, fourth and fifth characters. Again, using our example above, the relevant portion of the date code is “A2271.”  So long as the first five characters match one of the twenty three (23) date codes below, your filter is an Affected Motor Oil Filter, regardless of the sixth character. Thus, we denote the sixth character as an “X.” The date codes of the Affected Motor Oil Filters are:

A2187X  A2219X  A2255X  A2278X
A2188X  A2220X  A2256X  A2279X
A2191X  A2223X  A2262X  A2282X
A2202X  A2226X  A2263X  A2285X
A2208X  A2240X  A2270X  A2286X
A2212X  A2241X  A2271X

Edited by AWDfreak

It really doesn't matter who makes them - the filters are made to Subaru's specifications. The problem with Fram filters has always been the material quality they are made from. 

From a manufacturing standpoint it makes no difference what factory the filter comes from - it matters what materials and quality controls are used on that specific product line. The Fram over-the-counter filters are not made of the same stuff nor likely with the same quality controls as the Subaru filters. A filter production line is a filter production line - what you put into the machines for filter medium, bypass valve components, anti-drainback components, seals, etc are what count and if Subaru is specifying what they want in their filter then it shouldn't matter who's machine it's being produced on. 

The only concern I have is if I have any of these filters on the shelf. 

GD

• 2 months later...

hey, western, MD!  i'm from MD, live in Morgantown now!

So whats the best filter to get? The speced bypass on OE that big of a deal?

whatever filter you want.

bypass is not a big deal practically or statistically speaking.  it's a big deal to discuss and theorize...things that essentially never happen in the real world.  if you're the type to think about it a lot and worry...then use a Subaru, it's only a few dollars. If you want plain, simple, practical use for the life of the vehicle get whatever you want.  i go with WIX and Pure One, but it doesn't matter, i'm going to make however many miles the rust around here affords me.....

around here Subaru oil filter usage is a really tiny percentage of Subaru's on the road, but i rarely work on anything 05 or newer, i'm sure newer ones frequently have them from the dealer. i can't remember the last time i've seen a Subaru oil filter on a Subaru, it almost never happens.  "subaru oil filter only" philosophy is much heavier online than in local circles, in my experience.

oil and filter questions have been asked a billion times, search google or any subaru forum.  there are thousands of responses that are all different.  bottom line is that everyone is right because it doesn't matter, get whatever oil filter you want.  i avoid frams, or used to, and i thought cardboard components at first was weak sauce but obviously they work and i've used them when nothing else is available and not really that concerned about it.