Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Piston won't screw back into brake caliper.

Abski

Hey guys, my apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place. I've come across a spot of trouble while replacing the brake pads and rotors on a 1991 L series wagon (EA82). I looked around the site, but couldn't find an answer yet.

So far, everything has gone smoothly, but unfortunately this is my first car with the handbrake on the front wheels. I've been trying to screw the pistons back in so I can replace the pads, got the little cube tool, etc. but after winding and winding, I don't think its moved at all.

Is there something simple that needs to be done that I may have missed? Or any tips and tricks? I feel like I've tried everything, and am getting very frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I had the same problem on my L-series after it had been laid up for a while. After cleaning the whole assembly I sprayed it with plenty of penetrating oil and then used a  caliper piston winding tool. Once it began to free-off, I noticed that it needed a hell of a lot of winding - I just assume it is on a fine thread. I've never had one of those calipers in pieces so I have no idea what they're like inside. But, eventually it wound back far enough to fit the new pads - needless to say, I removed all traces of oil with spray brake cleaner. I also took the opportunity to de-glaze the disks with some wet and dry paper. I ended up fitting new discs in the end because of excessive run-out. Amazingly, brand bew disks from Subaru were actually cheap! Less expensive than having them skimmed... not many parts from Subaru are a bargain.

Thanks for the help guys, ended up getting it sorted today. Also, I don't suppose anyone knows the bleed order for it? Its got the hill holder, and I've been informed that the order goes diagonally or something?

Edited by Abski