Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own a 2000 Legacy GT 5 spd. wagon and am interested in the followingperformance upgrades from http://www.xcceleration.com.Borla Header 2.5 literXcceleration Stainless Steel Super Hi-Flow Catalytic ConverterBrospeed Stainless Steel Performance MufflerUNORTHODOX Ultra Street PulleyGPMoto Intake for 2.5 NAsPod IntakeXcceleration Short Throw Shift KitI'm also looking for advice as this car is a daily driver that I putabout 65 miles/day on traveling to and from work. Specifically, I'mconcerned with reducing the reliability/longevity of the car as wellas making it so loud that the noise becomes an annoyance. Don't getme wrong, I like the sound of a well running machine but I don't wantto wake the neighbors when I leave in the morning or not be able tohold a conversation while driving.I probably can't afford all the mods so I'm looking for bang for thebuck. What's going to do the most for me?I'd really appreciate any advice. Also, i'm not married to that site. If something else out there will do a better job, i'd certainly beinterested.Thanks very much,Jason

I am by no means an expert - but I can speak from my experience with performance mods for my '96 Legacy GT. I have an Injen RD cold air intake, Borla headers, and cat-back performance exhaust. I started with the intake and that definitely created more noise under hard acceleration. There was a noticeable increase in power, not stunning, but noticeable. The header gave it a different tone and made it a bit louder during idle and hard acceleration. I "think" I noticed an improvement with the header! The cat-back exhaust made it even louder and made a slight improvement in power, I think. There's probably a synergistic effect combining the header and the exhaust. I don't have a high-flow cat, but I've been told those are REALLY loud. I do a lot of highway driving and have recorded better gas mileage, to the tune of 5 more mpg. Sometimes I think that I should have just saved the money on the mods for a down payment on a better performing vehicle. I firmly believe that in order to have a daily driver that performs well (speaking Subaru) it needs to be turbocharged. An interesting site is www.i-speedusa.com. They do engine swaps for Subaru's.

I agree with Chip, Teagues auto is a sweet place to get parts, that where I get most of my parts. Dale Teague is a great guy to do business with. Also another place that my friend goes to for his STi is www.xxtuning.com This place is the balls. They do everything and anything, And I will be doing a dyno pull there to see what my car runs stock. Anyway check out the website, but you will be better off CALLING them, trust me ;)