Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question for the Masses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darthsoob

darthsoob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • tacoma

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have an 05 Baja Turbo that has developed a minor coolant leak while it sat for a few months. Once the engine get up to running temp, especially if I have started driving, it will have a bit of steam coming from under the hood on the passenger's side. Of course I have looked for the obvious leak but have been unable to track it down. Get really annoying when I run the cabin fan and smell the stuff.

Anyone out there run across any likely spots to check?

Thanks All!

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,823 posts
  • Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

after it's warmed up, have you looked under the hood for spraying or drips? Are you keeping an eye on coolant levels?

How's the level in the overflow reservoir?

#3 darthsoob

darthsoob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • tacoma

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Have not been able to see any drips that is what is making it so difficult. All I get is faint steam and I have been unable to trace the leak. As a result, I have been having to keep to coolant level topped off. It doesn't leak alot, but this is something I want to stop before it becomes a big problem.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,823 posts
  • Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

an 8 year old car could have coolant leaking from anywhere.

But, it seems most likely your leak is from someplace above/inline with the exhaust.

maybe a coolant system pressure test would pinpoint it. If not, suspect a headgasket leak but only at operating temp?

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,859 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Check the hoses around the turbo. You might have to crawl under it and look up to get an idea of the source.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,912 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Mileage?

How long did it sit?

How positive are you that it's the passengers side?

Front or rear of engine bay?

Passengers side coolant sources:  heater core hoses, turbo, oil cooler hoses, radiator.

I would considser the oil cooler hoses the most likely...in addition to any turbo related sources.

Assuming the car has never been wrecked or any parts removed (engine, etc), the heater core and radiator are unlikely at such low age.

Someone that can do a visual needs to check it.  There are no common areas for this vehicle that I'm aware of, so outside of that it would be hard for someone to tell you where something is leaking that can't see the vehicle.

#7 darthsoob

darthsoob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • tacoma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Just approaching 100k. Car is entrirely clean, now wrecks and I do my best on regular maintanance. I sat for 4 months while I was working out of state but it is back to regualr commuting. I have been looking all around but it only seems to put out small amounts of steam. Don't believe it is the front of the car. If it would dribble fluid, I'm sure I could track it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users